• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Block Bedding

bsekf

Private
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
To all the guys trying to pillar bed and using chassis stocks. Has anybody tried using a barrel block? Nothing more than a block attached to the barrel and then attached to the stock. The barrel and action hang out there is space totally free floated. With the no recoil of the 22rf, it should be easy using aluminum.

And that would be me.....Fuglie and Son of Fuglie.
Epoxy bedded barrels with the barrels locked down, the receiver hanging free.

CZ455SOF%2521.JPG

To all the guys trying to pillar bed and using chassis stocks. Has anybody tried using a barrel block? Nothing more than a block attached to the barrel and then attached to the stock. The barrel and action hang out there is space totally free floated. With the no recoil of the 22rf, it should be easy using aluminum.
Never heard of that bedding method! If the barrel is floating and the action, then you have a central pivot point. That surely would not work. You could have vertical movement of both barrel and action. One of the other must be stable to eliminate vertical.

did a bunch of reading and research into barrel blocks for a project i was getting into

in theory, they are a perfect idea but the block adds a few wrinkles; like possibly squeezing the barrel too tight and changing the size of the bore.

it adds vibration on both sides of the block not just from the action forward

some guys mount the scope to the action some guys mount it to the block

lots of "ive tried and done it this way" etc

but in reality they dont really help with accuracy

it more of a packaging aid so you dont need a stock

personally i still want to mess with one but its not a world beater idea

littlesister, the barrel block is 5-6 inches long and carefully bedded into a cutout in the stock. No pivot, they do it to BR centerfire rifles. The trick is fitting the block to the barrel.

justin, did you just glue the barrel into the stock? How much of the barrel is glued in? With the no recoil of the 22rf, that would work without a block. Now.... did it shoot better? Did you leave the action screws out completely?

brianf, never thought about the action vibrating along with the barrel......HUM!! I saw it done to 260AI F-Class, guy called it a 6.5 Mystic. Guy did it with a Savage 200 action, trying to keep cost down. It was competitive.

Last edited:
For those that dont know what a barrel block is:

The challenge is getting a proper fit between the two, or epoxying it if you want to fill the voids which then means heating it up to change later on. Too many people have success with it for it to just "not need a stock"... whatever that means.

Barrel Block « Daily Bulletin
Gunsmithing - Barrel block details | Sniper's Hide Forum

1676393945391.png

A Look at the Rigidity of Benchrest Barrels - Lilja : Lilja

Reactions: pabrousseau
The Fuglie and SOF are only held in place by the steel plates and leather pads.
Receivers are not attached to the stock/block, only the barrel provides support.
The result is a minimum of barrel resonance/vibrations.
The accuracy is dependent on the skill of the shooter and ammunition quality,
when the Lilja bull barrels are installed.

The 3rd picture, with the purple stock, is the 6.5 Mystic.

Justin, Is the entire barrel glued into the stock or just 5-6 inches ahead of the action? I would think gluing the entire barrel might cause some unusual stress from heat. In centerfire, the block around the chamber acts as a heat sink. However, 22rf develops little heat in a heavy barrel. Did it improve the accuracy?

Yes, accuracy did improve.
Heat is not a factor with the 22lr.
With magnum rimfire, I have to watch the temperatures.
Shoot 5, take a break until the barrel cools off.
The Fuglies produced better results than the free-floated/receiver mounted setups.
Was it the extra weight/stability? Elimination of stock flex? Dampening of barrel harmonics?
I think all three factors helped.

littlesister, the barrel block is 5-6 inches long and carefully bedded into a cutout in the stock. No pivot, they do it to BR centerfire rifles. The trick is fitting the block to the barrel.

justin, did you just glue the barrel into the stock? How much of the barrel is glued in? With the no recoil of the 22rf, that would work without a block. Now.... did it shoot better? Did you leave the action screws out completely?

brianf, never thought about the action vibrating along with the barrel......HUM!! I saw it done to 260AI F-Class, guy called it a 6.5 Mystic. Guy did it with a Savage 200 action, trying to keep cost down. It was competitive.
Well, just shows how little I know. Actually have seen this system in CF. Didn't know what it was called. Never saw it in RF. I would think if it were a superior bedding system It would be used in UL RF. Which again it may be. I have owned a couple of sleaved RF actions. Supposed to stiffen the action and increase bedding area. They were no more accurate than a regular bedded action.