• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel & Bolt Recomendations for a 20" AR-15

Will_Power

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2012
An Okie in Orygun
Hello all,

As the preeminent place for precision shooting, I've been lurking around Sniper's Hide, trying to soak up knowledge while I finalize the part list for my first AR-15. I'm a might bit stumped regarding my barrel and bolt choice.

I am putting together a 20" SDM-R/A4/SPR-inspired setup. Mostly to train my own marksmanship abilities out as far as I'm able to (eventually out to the 600 and 700 yard mark that I keep reading is possible with the 77gr bullets), but also with a consideration towards possible hunting and second amendment contingencies.

I'm on a bit of a budget, and do to my own lack of skill, a high-end ultra match grade barrel would go to waste anyway (I'll assemble the basics, first, and then save up for a Gisselle trigger and suitable piece of glass in the 2.5x10 range, and then consider a barrel upgrade).

That said, <span style="font-weight: bold">what should I be considering for a barrel (and bolt)?</span>

1. Matched/headspaced bolt? How important is this? Compass Lake has a matched bolt and barrel.
  2. Barrel profile? Is there a difference between the Govt. Profile and a "medium" profile? For my uses which is going to be a better bet? I've seen an AR-Stoner barrel in SDM-R profile that fits what I'm looking for, but am uncertain about the barrel profile <span style="font-style: italic">and</span> the make.
  3. 1:7 or 1:8? I'll be shooting the heavier bullets. Is the 1:7 going to make that much of a difference or is it practically a wash?
  4. Wylde vs. match chamber? Seems the Wylde chambers are the best bet out there, right?
  5. Chromed barrels increase the life of the barrel, but decrease accuracy, so I've heard. That something I need to worry about? I like finding any way to ease my maintenance and upkeep burden.
Along with the questions, are there any standout barrels in the low-mid price ranges that fit my needs? Preferably in stainless, too, as I live on the wet side of the Cascades.

Thanks for any insight you can toss my way.

<span style="font-weight: bold">TL;DR?</span> Looking to build a SDM-R/A4/SPR type setup. Is there a 20", 1:7 or 1:8, Wylde chambered, M4 feedramps cut barrel in either Government or medium profile? Does it also happen to come in stainless?

Re: Barrel & Bolt Recomendations for a 20" AR-15

If the barrel is chambered to your bolt, there's less chance of one or the other being slightly off. I sent my JP bolt to Krieger to have the barrel chambered, but many simply order parts and assemble things and it almost always works ok.

I'd take a look at White Oak Armament barrels, or one of the Rainier Arms match barrels if I were trying to keep cost down. Wylde chamber is a hybrid between 5.56mm and .223, and able to shoot both ammo but with better accuracy than a 5.56 chamber.

1:8 will do fine with 77gr bullets - I used Krieger's 1:7.7 to shoot the nosler 77 grains, M4 feedramps, Wylde chamber, stainless barrel, but you can find equivalents at either of the places listed above.

John

#5 Chrome Bore:
Criterion, they have a chrome bore but aren't a slop arse barrel with chrome in it. Its well done & properly lapped first. Yielding good accuracy.

I've had very good luck with the SS410 barrels from Bravo Company. At $300, it's a very good deal in a barrel. On no holds barred builds, I got straight to Krieger.

In my experience, an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system shoots a bit smoother than a 20" and you don't sacrifice much velocity at all.

+1 for the White Oak Armament. Great barrel for the $.

All great recommendations above. Also check out JP precision.

WillPower, the SDM-R used a 20 inch stainless steel Douglas barrel with a 1:8 twist,with 12 flutes cut into the barrel to reduce weight. I heard that recently they weren't using the fluted barrels anymore, but their own contour. As mentioned above, its hard to go wrong with White Oak Armament or Compass Lake, honestly I would think it would be wiser to spend the money on a quality barrel and headspaced bolt now rather than later, call either up and tell them what you are looking for. As for the upper and lower theres a lot of quality out there at affordable price, for the trigger check out Bill Springfield for real value for money, Geissele are real nice, but not for those on a budget. The standard A2 stock should work for what you are wanting, for a forearm check out YHM rifle lenght customizable forearm for value. As for glass, look for a fixed 10x to get you in the game, look in the for used section.

My apologies for raising this from the depths of the archives, but I wanted to follow up on my initial query.

After getting a lot of great feedback from a couple different forums, I ended up going with one of the stainless 410 barrels from BCM.

Originally, I was looking at the 20" SAM-R, but the base stainless variety was out of stock, so I ended up going with the 18" SPR version. While I know the velocity loss isn't all that great, I was still wanting the 20. I suspect I'll be plenty pleased with the 18 once I get everything put together.

Now, I'm waiting on LAR to get their OPS-4 side charging upper/bcg back in stock. In the meantime, I'm circling back on my budget to see what I can get away with as far as good triggers go. Not certain at this time if I'll be able to spring for the Giselle yet or not.

My plan at this junction is to use this rifle to, essentially, learn to shoot accurately and repeatedly. My next purchase will be quality glass, but that's a few months out and worth it's own thread when it's time.

Until then, it's shoot the dickens out of the thing and practice. Then, down the road, spring for a real high-quality barrel.

Thanks again for the help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've had very good luck with the SS410 barrels from Bravo Company. At $300, it's a very good deal in a barrel. On no holds barred builds, I got straight to Krieger.

In my experience, an 18" barrel with rifle length gas system shoots a bit smoother than a 20" and you don't sacrifice much velocity at all.</div></div>

For triggers:

$100 - Armalite or RRA 2-stage

$200 - Geissele SSA or SSA-E

$300 - Geissele HS Match or DMR

For the record, I'm using an Armalite and about ready to spring for an HS Match.