• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel brake question

Re: barrel brake question

I am sorry....was there a question here?

I was a bit "distracted".

It's getting closed and closer to the point I can't browse this site at work because I don't know what bouncing boobs or shaking ass someone is going to post.

Makes it hard to direct the brass or colleagues to serious information.

back on point....could you clarify what you mean by "flush to the barrel".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"distracted". </div></div>

Ummmmm... yeah, what he said.

DK

I want to have a muzzle brake installed on my remy tactical 308. the end of the barrel is .920 i think ish. is there a brake around that size that would screw on and be smooth/flush to the barrel?

without having it blended to the barrel you will never get one that fits perfect.

Best bet is to have it turned down to match the barrel conture while on the barrel

You mean like this:

muzzlebaw.jpg

http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/

I have no personal experience with them, but many like them. You will have to have a gunsmith install it and turn it down for you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JJones75</div><div class="ubbcode-body">without having it blended to the barrel you will never get one that fits perfect.

Best bet is to have it turned down to match the barrel conture while on the barrel </div></div>

yeah i want it blended like the guys right above me. guess i am going to have to shop around for a smithy who can do it.

Personally I would measure my barrel first to make sure of the size of the barrel. There are a few brakes out there that come CLOSE.. but like JJones75 said, to get a blended look you would most likely have to have it turned to match nicely. Best of luck! let us know what you come up with.

One quick thing to consider is the type of shooting you are doing. If you are using it off the bench then the Vais brake above will be fine.. But if you shoot alot of prone, you may want to consider a brake without the ports on the bottom so it doesnt blow sand, dirt, and debris back in your face.

APA turned my LB brake down to where it matches the contour of the barrel. After it was painted, you couldn't tell where the brake ended and the barrel began.

There are gunsmiths that make each brake custom. They can do what you want. They thread your barrel, Mil some steel down to your barrel's diameter and make the holes necessary for a brake
PM me, I have the name of one in Denver that can do it.

Not to be nit picky, but I think the diameter on that barrel is .820 and not .920.

Another thing to consider is a thread protector so you can remove the brake for hunting and protect the threads. In some cases leaving the brake a little oversized helps protect the shoulder junction from damage in the feild.

To be turned to be flush with the barrel the outside of the barrel needs to be dialed in after the brake is installed, then machined down.

Good Luck.

JamieD