• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel break-in and cleaning

galveston22

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2009
Texas
Does it really matter if you clean your bore after each shot during a break in period? I should have my scope mounted on my 10FP by next week. Brand new barrel, never shot. I got some Butch's Bore Shine today. Can I just use a .30 cal Boresnake that I already have.

Is barrel break in BS?

Re: Barrel break-in and cleaning

You don't have to clean after every round but I would toss the boresnake!

where are you.....i mean were do you live.......? i want to come find you and ............straighten you out.......

then i'm going to go beat the fuckin horse again...........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where are you.....i mean were do you live.......? i want to come find you and ............straighten you out.......

then i'm going to go beat the fuckin horse again...........</div></div>

whats does any of that mean?

I think he is just sharing some frustration w/ the ignorant or new to the hide! Hopefully you belong to the latter and not the first or both?

1st.Fill out your profile and let us know where you are from. 2nd. When you ask for advice it is always helpfull to listen to wise shooters. Just trying to help and not offend or ruffle your feathers. You can also do a search on this site and you can sometimes find the info you are looking for, sometimes this doesn't work ( Depends on the words you use.) If you ask politely and ask specifically on what the step by step process is then you will get some help. SmokeRolls

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st.Fill out your profile and let us know where you are from. 2nd. When you ask for advice it is always helpfull to listen to wise shooters. Just trying to help and not offend or ruffle your feathers. You can also do a search on this site and you can sometimes find the info you are looking for, sometimes this doesn't work ( Depends on the words you use.) If you ask politely and ask specifically on what the step by step process is then you will get some help. SmokeRolls </div></div>

This is not helpful. 1st - what does filling out my profile have to do with my question? 2nd - i want the advice of a wise shooter, thats why I posted it here. 3rd - i did search before i posted.

Specifically, its been a while since I've had a bolt action. I went through a pistol/AK phase for a while. I've read that you can do more harm than good by pushing a rod down a barrel after every shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">where are you.....i mean were do you live.......? i want to come find you and ............straighten you out.......

I dont understand why a person would post something like this. Its pathetic that you felt compelled to post such worthless and uneducated babel.

Galveston22, there are many wise shooters in this forum. Half of them will say it is necessary. The other half will say you are wasting your time. This is a Ford vs Chevey question, you will not get a definative answer.

When in Rome do as the Romans. The people who hang out on this site like to see the profile filled out in order to know you better.....You can leave it blank if you want to... Just expect to see less responses to your questions if you leave it blank... If you are looking for better groups from a precision rifle then seasoning the barrel is better than just shooting it and not taking care of the barrel. There are better shooters out there than me so I'm going to not take the lead on answering this question as absolute "Do it this way." I do have precision rifles and I do have one that will shoot .182 for a 4 shot group at 100 yards center to center and I think I can squeeze even better out of it with some practice. I do use handloads and my barrel has been seasoned properly. ..SmokeRolls

I had the same thing happen on one of my first posts.This site has kind of a preferred way of doing things. It is unsaid but it is there non the less. Fill out your profile in order to be taken seriously. Weather you think it is right or wrong isn't the question. The question is do you want to have as many people as possible attempt to help you or do you want to not fill out your profile? Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuperXJeff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This site has kind of a preferred way of doing things. </div></div>

I happen to like that way. ... most of the time.

It keeps down on the retarded posts.

My opinion is to clean your barrel before you shoot it.

Then shoot 5 or so... then clean it heavily. Then shoot until accuracy fades. Rinse and repeat for life of barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I dont understand why a person would post something like this. Its pathetic that you felt compelled to post such worthless and uneducated babel. </div></div>

Fill out your profile, fill one of these out, then go to the store and buy some skin-ask for something a little thicker that what you received the first time.
1_hurtfeelingreport.jpg

Try this to find more than ample reading on the "break in, is it good or not" question instead of wasting time and bandwidth with a poll:
SnipersHide specific Google search

Mike Hull was quicker to the link I personally favor than myself.
Great reading there!

Is it too early to bring the popcorn?

Personally, i like to pass a jb bore paste mop up and down the barrel 100 times to smooth things out. Dont know if this helps but my TRG and my SGC speedmaster both shoot under 0.5 moa. ANYWAY back to the BITCHIN lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheSmokeRolls</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1st.Fill out your profile and let us know where you are from. 2nd. When you ask for advice it is always helpfull to listen to wise shooters. Just trying to help and not offend or ruffle your feathers. You can also do a search on this site and you can sometimes find the info you are looking for, sometimes this doesn't work ( Depends on the words you use.) If you ask politely and ask specifically on what the step by step process is then you will get some help. SmokeRolls </div></div>

This is not helpful. 1st - what does filling out my profile have to do with my question? 2nd - i want the advice of a wise shooter, thats why I posted it here. 3rd - i did search before i posted.

Specifically, its been a while since I've had a bolt action. I went through a pistol/AK phase for a while. I've read that you can do more harm than good by pushing a rod down a barrel after every shot.

I dont understand why a person would post something like this. Its pathetic that you felt compelled to post such worthless and uneducated babel. </div></div>

You are asking a question and asking more, while you bite the hand that feeds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it really matter if you clean your bore after each shot during a break in period? I should have my scope mounted on my 10FP by next week. Brand new barrel, never shot. I got some Butch's Bore Shine today. Can I just use a .30 cal Boresnake that I already have.

Is barrel break in BS? </div></div>

Yeah, this is a topic that people will hate on you for bringing it up. Use the Sniper's Hide Google search to find any information you're looking for. It's far better than the standard or advanced Sniper's Hide search offered here.

Sniper's Hide Google Search

2nd, the opinions on barrel break in range from one extreme to another. Since I like Krieger barrels so much and buy them whenever I can, I use their Krieger barrel break in procedures. Some guys think thats a bunch of bullshit designed solely to sell more barrels.

I do not.

The best shooting rifles I've ever owned have all had some sort of barrel break in done on them.

Krieger barrels: BREAK-IN and CLEANING

Lastly, a word of advice. When you post here, throw your ego away. There are a lot of folks that will jump on you for any reason or <span style="font-weight: bold">none what-so-ever</span>. Don't respond to them. Don't let them even see you flinch.

Just keep reading, keep learning and keep shooting. The rest will fall right into place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: galveston22</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Fill out your profile, fill one of these out, then go to the store and buy some skin-ask for something a little thicker that what you received the first time.
1_hurtfeelingreport.jpg

Here. I did my profile and filled out your report.

1hurtfeelingreport.gif

Try this to find more than ample reading on the "break in, is it good or not" question instead of wasting time and bandwidth with a poll:
SnipersHide specific Google search

</div></div>

My Noveske barrel came with a barrel care sheet detailing their preferred method of cleaning barrels and also plainly stated that break in procedures offer no benefits. I'll take their word for it as they definitely know what they are doing. No barrel break in for me, ever.

Most of the guys who offer a break-in procedure do it because they get hounded by the customers who really really really think they need one.

One thing is true...the guys not doing break-ins aren't suffering for it. Lots of match winners here that don't break-in or clean regularly.

FWIW I broke in the barrel on my AI AW exactly as per Border Barrels instructions. Now, 1700 rounds through it.....negligible copper fouling even after 50-60 round strings.

Waiting on my GAP .308 with Bartlein barrel to arrive....will follow GAP's advice on break-in to the letter.

These are not cheap guns so IMHO it's best to follow the advice of the manufacturer/smith - they're the experts.

If it meant voiding a warranty, I would go through the friggin break in ordeal. That would be the only reason. It may be what influences me when I buy replacement barrels for my rifles-I'll look for those that don't require break in!

I break in my barrels, but never waste ammo doing it. Better safe than sorry as far as I'm concerned, so during the entire process I use the rounds to sight in, work up loads, and generally get a feel for the rifle and shoot groups. I only do my "break in" procedure for 25 rounds, then it's business as usual.

"Gale McMillan thought break-in was a retarded idea."

REPEAT:

Now do any of us know more than him?

Barrels are cheap, break in is BS and I'd rather be stroking my trigger or a six foot blond gal than being anal about wearing out a cleaning rod and keeping the mouse milk hucksters in business.

This topic needs to be banned from the Hide as it's even more stupid than people who think they need 6-24x56 scopes on 30-378s to hunt Antelope.

I have a 50+ year old 722 222 that has probably seen 8000 rounds. Never broken in (what 16 year old kid ever heard of that in 1958) and it still will put 10 into less than a dime with an ancient K 12!

Stop obsessing and get shooting! My Dad never "broke in" his M-1 or 1911 in 1944-5 except on guys wearing "feldgrau". He came back, they did not. Any questions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

REPEAT:

Now do any of us know more than him?

Barrels are cheap, break in is BS and I'd rather be stroking my trigger or a six foot blond gal than being anal about wearing out a cleaning rod and keeping the mouse milk hucksters in business.

This topic needs to be banned from the Hide as it's even more stupid than people who think they need 6-24x56 scopes on 30-378s to hunt Antelope.

I have a 50+ year old 722 222 that has probably seen 8000 rounds. Never broken in (what 16 year old kid ever heard of that in 1958) and it still will put 10 into less than a dime with an ancient K 12!

Stop obsessing and get shooting! My Dad never "broke in" his M-1 or 1911 in 1944-5 except on guys wearing "feldgrau". He came back, they did not. Any questions? </div></div>
a big +1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...... - they're the experts. </div></div>

Yep....and they are the ones selling you barrels. Take it for what it's worth.

I hear what you are saying....I've got rimfire rifles that never had a break-in and shoot perfectly. But when it comes to a £500 barrel, I'd rather do it. Border publish a routine for this, GAP publish a routine for this...Bartlein says do what ever makes you happy!

You don't have to get your car serviced according to the manufacturer's manual, but I guarantee if you don't you'll be buying more cars or replacement parts than you need to. Sowhich would benefit the manufacturer more?

Like "to clean or not to clean" this is another one you'll never get people to agree on...each to their own.

Mr Humble's on to something when he mentions banning this from the Hide :))

Im currently breaking in my new AI AW, meaning first 9 shots took me 9 hours on the range in total. a proper in breaked barrel will have less fouling and easier to clean in the future, so I intend to catch up on those 9 hours spent..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mr. Humble</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> My Dad never "broke in" his M-1 or 1911 in 1944-5 except on guys wearing "feldgrau". He came back, they did not. Any questions?</div></div>

I've got a 1915 SMLE and a 1941 K98k that probably were also never broken in other than on human targets.

Like most government equipment (or similar to "company" or pool cars today?) they've had who knows how many owners, probably not willing or able to provide TLC on a regular basis. They have certainly not been cosseted and treated like "safe queens".

Both sweat copper even after thorough non-abrasive cleaning.

But these are 70-90 year old battle rifles, so no suprises there....are they accurate compared to a modern precision rifle? No.

Are they capable of hitting a man-sized target at distances from 0 - 600yds? 100% yes they are.

Would I choose to put my own $7,000 precision rifles through the same routine that these have gone through over the years? No.

Just my £0.02.

Cazorp....as stated above, I put the time in and followed the Border break-in routine. Your investment (in both senses) makes sense to me.

Actually I'm a 67 year old 222 owner and have probably put 10 times as many rounds downrange as most of the anal current crop of target shooters. You all can waste your time with break in but I'll stick with one of the premier makers of bench rest barrels who will void you warranty if you mess around with any of the mouse milk crap that is designed (they say) to break in a barrel.

Insofar as cars go, read your owners manual, break in went out in the 60s and is a dead as michael jackson. Last time I looked my Magnum, Miata, Neon and Cummins were not burning 4831. They are burning nasty petrochemicals that leave water, acid and all sorts of other crap in the engine & oil, so scheduled maintenance
makes sense. None of my rifles came with a book scheduling maintenance every so many miles!

Build you best load and shoot it until accuracy falls off. Squirt it with Wipe out, wait 20 minutes, drag thru a boresnake,
do it again with a fresh boresnake, put in the bore guide and push (one way) a few patches with a good rod like a Dewey.
Fire a fouler and I'll betcha your groups are back to as good as ever.

At my age, sex takes so long, that I'd rather spend my time on it than stroking a cleaning rod.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im currently breaking in my new AI AW, meaning first 9 shots took me 9 hours on the range in total. <span style="font-weight: bold">a proper in breaked barrel will have less fouling and easier to clean in the future</span>, so I intend to catch up on those 9 hours spent.. </div></div>

That is such crap! Somebody told you that, or you read that somewhere. As I said above, lots of successful shooters here have barrels working just fine without a break-in. You will not get those hours back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im currently breaking in my new AI AW, meaning first 9 shots took me 9 hours on the range in total. <span style="font-weight: bold">a proper in breaked barrel will have less fouling and easier to clean in the future</span>, so I intend to catch up on those 9 hours spent.. </div></div>

That is such crap! Somebody told you that, or you read that somewhere. As I said above, lots of successful shooters here have barrels working just fine without a break-in. You will not get those hours back. </div></div>

the only way to really prove this is to take two identical rifles, shoot them over the lifetime of the barrel with identical ammo, same conditions and cleaning routines except one has a break in, the other doesn't......then see which lasts longer and gives the best results.

And while whoever does this, maybe they could do the same test but with cleaning or not cleaning?

This way maybe we'll solve two of the most divisive issues here?

Until then, everyone will do whatever works best for themselves and believe their way is the better way.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Supersubes</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cazorp</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im currently breaking in my new AI AW, meaning first 9 shots took me 9 hours on the range in total. <span style="font-weight: bold">a proper in breaked barrel will have less fouling and easier to clean in the future</span>, so I intend to catch up on those 9 hours spent.. </div></div>

That is such crap! Somebody told you that, or you read that somewhere. As I said above, lots of successful shooters here have barrels working just fine without a break-in. You will not get those hours back. </div></div>

the only way to really prove this is to take two identical rifles, shoot them over the lifetime of the barrel with identical ammo, same conditions and cleaning routines except one has a break in, the other doesn't......then see which lasts longer and gives the best results.

And while whoever does this, maybe they could do the same test but with cleaning or not cleaning?

This way maybe we'll solve two of the most divisive issues here?

Until then, everyone will do whatever works best for themselves and believe their way is the better way. </div></div>

I did it with 2 identical brand new TRG-22 rifles, one I broke in the other I didn't and it was used religiously at RO as a loaner rifle, (the unbroken in one) it consistently was the top shooter on the line, well in the 1/2 Minute zone, no one who ever used it notice any difference in accuracy falling off, excessive copper, or anything else negative and in fact it was identical in every way to the one that was broken in, 10 rounds clean, etc.

Nowaday, I don't ever break in my barrel in the preferred old ways, I shoot it, clean it when I get home the first couple of times, and then after about the 2nd range trip, its just bore snaked every 200 to 500 rounds and cleaned with a solvent and no more than 6 patches after that...above 1000s of rounds, my accuracy remains stellar, my barrel life stays in the 1000's. (the Harbinger is over 10k, my Werewolf, over 5k, etc..) and no ill effects.

So I did it, continue to do it, and see no difference in performance or cleaning. It's because people spend $300 to $500 for a custom barrel and want a ritual to follow in order to feel they are doing something worthy of the money.

Amen. I've never "broken-in" a barrel and don't plan to. If I paid $500 for a precision-machined barrel that was built on a million dollars' worth of computer-controlled equipment, carefully hand-lapped, etc. and it wasn't completely ready to shoot tiny groups when it arrived, I would kick the manufacturer in his junk.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Conqueror</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Amen. I've never "broken-in" a barrel and don't plan to. If I paid $500 for a precision-machined barrel that was built on a million dollars' worth of computer-controlled equipment, carefully hand-lapped, etc. and it wasn't completely ready to shoot tiny groups when it arrived, I would kick the manufacturer in his junk. </div></div>

Right ON!!!

I think it may also make a difference in the quality of the barrel to start with. A proper lapped custom will probably see no benifit but a sewer pipe on a Remington or savage may see a noticeable reduction in copper fouling.

I had a remington .308 that goes from 3/4moa to 3moa after 60 rounds of factory match and back to 3/4moa when cleaned. The barrel was toast after about 2000 rounds and I strongly suspect the cleaning was the primary culprit.

I have since switched to better barrels and HBN coated slugs and clean when I feel guilty which is every several hundred rounds.

That's hit the nail squarely on the head Frank. Very revealing. Thanks!

I did it on my AW because (a) the barrel manufacturer recommended it and (b)having parted with the cash, I felt I want to protect the investment.

As said earlier, I've got rimfire rifles I never broke in and they work every bit as well as my centrefires that I broke in to the letter.

But I'll probably still follow George's suggested routine when my GAP arrives - and I recognise that the only benefit may be my own personal sense of well being.

It's a mental - feel good thing, it makes the owner feel connected to his investment, it has no basis in reality I can find, at least with a good barrel, maybe there is a small benefit in a factory rifle, but I think that barrel pretty much is, what it is.

But I haven't found a difference doing it makes and in shooting at least 6 rifles, pretty heavily, that haven't been broken in, I can say I haven't notice any difference in the long term. Its pretty much a shoot it and go proposition, but then again I have about as much emotional investment in my kit as a carpenter does to his hammer, or a mechanic to his wrench. My feelings are disconnected from the process, so take it for what its worth.