• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Barrel break In/load development .223 SPS Tac

diggler1833

World's Okayest Rancher and Hog Hunter
Minuteman
  • Jul 22, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm pretty pleased to say the least with my SPS Tactical. I picked up some 68gr Hornady BTHP and just threw them in some unprepped (other than sized and chamfered/deburred) once fired Winchester brass that I picked up from the range where I work at. Haven't done any attempts at changing seating depth yet, but I don't think I'll be doing it at all. Tried some Varget and shot a few groups.

Wind was all over the place, but at only about 3-10mph, and usually only changed every 20 seconds or so. The two 5 shot groups you see are shots 84-93 on the rifle. As you can see I managed to either pull a shot, miss guess the wind, or just poor brass prep resulted in the one flier at 2 o'clock in the bottom group opening it from just under 1/2" to over 3/4". The top group is 5 shots into .433".

Distance is only at 100yds though, I'll move it back as far as I can next time (just 200).

Shot a few other groups with different charges of Varget, as well as IMR 4895 and they were all hovering a bit under 1 MOA. Put 23 rounds of 69gr FGMM through the rifle so far and that is about 1 MOA as well.

Still have a couple of unopened boxes of 75gr A-Max, 69gr SMK, and 75gr Bergers to try as well as a few other powders.

Rifle
    SPSTac.jpg

Groups
    SPSTacLoadDevelopmentHornady68.jpg

Re: Barrel break In/load development .223 SPS Tac

Barrel breakin: Most of us around here don't bother. We just go out and shoot the thing. Somewhere between 200 and 2000 rounds will be the spot where the gun is performaing as well as possible.

Pretty descent groups--keep at it.