• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel break in suggestions........

bowstryder

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2008
grottoes, va
I have a 10/22 magnum which I will be finishing up soon. The barrel is a lilja match .920 21" When the barrel arrived I read up on the instructions and suggestions...... They recommended that this barrel be broken in as a centerfire would be as it has a .224 pipe and .22 wmr are most all jacketed bullets. I don't think that ripping the gun from the stock and then tearing the barrel off that many times is good idea. I am very careful with all of my weapons and treat break in with the utmost respect, but this time I don't like it on this platform. Too many things can go wrong or wear out or unevenly. Suggestions?

Re: barrel break in suggestions........

Shoot it; clean it (properly) only when it needs it.

Did you try searching?

I have tried searching and there really isnt much on the .22 wmr, especially for the lilja. I have been scouring the web and that's pretty much what most everyone is saying. Clean before the first shot, assemble and then use a bore snake when it needs it. Thanks Jon

If it were my personal rifle:

1. clean prior to first shot
2. shoot 30-40 times
3. clean again
4. shoot 150-200 times
5. clean again
6. shoot till it either dosent cycle good or acuraccy falls off
7. clean again

Done!

Clean before first shooting it, then clean when accuracy falls off. Just like a centerfire.

..." <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">I don't think that ripping the gun from the stock and then tearing the barrel off that many times is good idea.</span></span> "
-
No need to take barrel off from the Action to clean it .
Have the guy building your 10/22 drill a hole in the rear of the Action concentric to the Bore as to able to push your cleaning rod in from the chamber to muzzle .
So all you got to do is just remove from Stock. drop out the Bolt , guide spring & neoprene Buffer to Rod-clean and then re-torque it back in the stock .

also: It's a custom build you are getting ? So They might be already doing that anyway & you just don't know about it.