• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel break in?

viav13

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2010
Montcalm Co. MI
Original post,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viav13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the science behind breaking in a barrel?

I've broke in a few rifle because I've heard its good for accuracy, but beyond that I really don't know much about it.

Does anybody know how a barrel break in makes the barrel more accurate? </div></div>

I was not looking for a barrel break in procedure, I did my own search on the net a while back and found many different variations. One thing all of these procedures lacked in explaining was the reason for the break in procedure, and "it makes it more accurate," is not a answer that satisfied me. Especially without data to back it up.

If your wondering about the real reason behind the myth look here:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1562996#Post1562996

:and watch the videos below

I would recommend you do this before ever taking a bore brush or jag to the chamber and bore of your rifle. Especially if you have a custom barrel.

Re: Barrel break in?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NOT again
</div></div>

Don't worry I am sure this subject will pop up again in a couple of weeks!!!
crazy.gif

It doesn't... It's purely a procedure made-up by a barrel manufacturer in order to sell more barrels... PERIOD... That is a documented FACT!!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't... It's purely a procedure made-up by a barrel manufacturer in order to sell more barrels... PERIOD... That is a documented FACT!!! </div></div>

Pretty much. Some will say different but most agree its a waste of time and does more harm than good.

Its a conspiracy between barrel makers and ammo makers. If it gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling go for it.

What's barrel break-in? Define what you mean by it and we'll comment on whether what you want to achieve is happening (or not).

This has to be THE most brought up topic on the entire forum. It should be a requirement to read all the barrel break in threads before getting a register ID.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shadow4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This has to be THE most brought up topic on the entire forum. It should be a requirement to read all the barrel break in threads before getting a register ID. </div></div>

LOL!!!

First 100 rounds, clean between every shot, using a combination of Hoppes 9 and unicorn semen. At 100 rounds, have it blessed by a voodoo high priestess. After that, it will shoot 1/16th MOA all day.

I have tried both ways, clean between x amount of shots for x amount of rounds, and just shooting without cleaning. Needless to say I am done wasting money on all the cleaning crap. I will waste the money on ammo and loading components. Don't worry about it, just go shoot.

I was looking more for the science behind the break in. More about what it does, Maybe on a molecular level, not so much the procedures on how to do it. I already know all that (in its many various ways)

But it looks like there may not be any.

A lot of opinion on it that's for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Try this, you will find all you will ever need to know about this subject!!!
http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=010955838166721108978:qcbx5qqy10o&hl=en </div></div>

thanks for this link, When i do the same search on the "search" function on the normal page, i dont get nearly as many related searches.

I wonder if one of the moderators could just put a sticky up about this subject....

Agree.

To sum it up....

There is shit that works, and shit that doesn't.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lilja bore scope http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf9zZqn00CA </div></div>Excellent video. That sums it up nicely. Thanks. </div></div>

I'm glad I came across this post. Very good information!
Steve