• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel break in

hide and seek

Private
Minuteman
May 4, 2008
I have just purchased 2 aw rifles one in 308 win and 338 lapua. These are my first new rifles. I have been useing a used ssg 69 so I have no experience with new rifle breakin and I would like to get this right the first time with these two fine rifles. Thanks

Re: barrel break in

There are a few good threads about break-in on this site already. Most of us have contributed to them at legth, with pics.

I'm curious: are you not satisfied with the detailed break-in explanation that comes with those rifles?

Filling in your profile, doing a cursory search, and spell-checking your work will bolster your credibility here more than will ownership of six-thousand dollar rifles.

No offense.
wink.gif

Welcome aboard.

sorry for letting you folks down I thought SNIPER'S HIDE was a form to ask a questions and get some help. Looks to me as if some of the people on this site might drown if the hold their nose up in a rain storm. I did try a search thanks again and have a great day and I will enjoy my rifles anyway.
wink.gif

Wac
No one is busting ya balls, members here are very helpful.

This is one of those topics that has been beat like red headed step child

Bottomline most dont subscribe to it on custom barrels, factory barrels see a fair share of tubbs final finish

Just shoot it
Cleaning is way over done by most, few here clean more than every several hundred rounds or until accuracy falls off.

Wealth of knowledge available dont be quick to judge, the search function can take a little getting use to

Stick around
Learn from the unwashed, disable and mentally unstable
all good guys and tutors

enjoy

Wac, it's raining here and I'm not getting wet.
laugh.gif

Shoot one and clean until the barrel stops fouling itself badly after the first shot. This usually takes between two and five shots with a good custom or AW barrel. I use a patch or two of Kroil to get the carbon out, then wet-patch with Butch's Bore Shine, wait five minutes, and punch two dry patches. The blue all over the first dry patch will be the copper. You will see that the first one or two shots result in the first dry patch being very blue, but then the amount of copper deposited drops off significantly. Shoot for the rest of the session of the day, then clean again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jayhawker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just go to the range and shoot them...clean when you get home...
the break-in process is a myth...

http://www.6mmbr.com/GailMcMbreakin.html </div></div>

I agree, I searched this and other sites when I was breaking in my BBL. I found so many conflicting theories that I just ended up shooting it and cleaning it. After 700+ rounds it keeps sub 3/4 MOA and I only clean it when it starts to open up. BTW, rifle is a 700 SPS Varmint, .308, in a VS stock.

i did no break in process, and i dont clean until about every 500 rds or so. I have no variation in my CCB, or CB shot. I go by what lowlight said.

Well after the post from EWOAF I feel real stupid..I spent the better of the day at the range yesterday breaking in my new Christensen...I wondered why there were a select few giving me the "oh my" look as I scrubbed away after each shot..Oh well it was a nice 75 degree day anyway so not all was lost..It's shoot away from now on for me though..I wish I had seen this post before..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thumper49802</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i did no break in process, and i dont clean until about every 500 rds or so. I have no variation in my CCB, or CB shot. <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">I go by what lowlight said</span></span>. </div></div>

Where did you see that? I did search! I've read and read and read. I have decided just to shoot the gun, but I would like to see his opinion. Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PM Performance</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well after the post from EWOAF I feel real stupid..I spent the better of the day at the range yesterday breaking in my new Christensen...I wondered why there were a select few giving me the "oh my" look as I scrubbed away after each shot..Oh well it was a nice 75 degree day anyway so not all was lost..It's shoot away from now on for me though..I wish I had seen this post before.. </div></div>

All the more wasteful when you could have used that time posting more photos of your better half!
grin.gif

I think a happy medium is to avoid cooking your new barrel by shooting the fk out of it right from the get go. The excruciating break in regimens seem an awful lot like showing off to me. Easy does it seems like a practical path. I figure those bullets swaging themselves down the bore must do a fair measure of knocking down the burrs. An occasional solvent patch (then punched dry) every few rounds can't hurt.

I believe the salient point LowLight made was, paraphrasing; "why torture yourself trying to remove copper that is just going to be replaced when the next bullet goes down the bore?"

It was confirmation of a long held suspicion...