• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing barrel breakin

athree

Private
Minuteman
Mar 25, 2008
is there such a thing.i know alot of the steps that people take but is it necessary.

Re: barrel breakin

i have never done a barrel break in. all of my rifles shoot just fine. and i guess i never did it cuz im lazy, and just want to shoot. oh well, whatever you wanna do with your barrel is up to you.

I've only tried "breaking in" one rifle so far. Now all I have to do is get another 5000 rounds shoot through it to tell if it was worth the trouble.

In order to really tell if it makes a difference a person would have to start with 2 rifles, break-in one but not the other, keep the round count exactly the same until there was a very obvious difference in the group size. More trouble than most of us would be willing to go to.

i'm just glad this topic doesn't come up more than every 24 hours
smirk.gif

but even if you did that, with the two rifle thing, theres no real definite answer. no two rifles are going to shoot the same. but its all up to you. do what pleases you.

I have done a proper break in on several occasions and have not done it on several occasion, either way it will get "broken in" when you shoot it over time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel Break In = BS

My $.02 </div></div>

On SOME things we just agree to disagree... It takes all kinds and all opinions. Do what makes you feel good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barrel Break In = BS

My $.02 </div></div>

On SOME things we just agree to disagree... It takes all kinds and all opinions. Do what makes you feel good.</div></div>

Agreed.

I try to do what makes me feel good but I keep getting interrupted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I try to do what makes me feel good but I keep getting interrupted. </div></div>

There's another good sig line.