• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition barrel burners

leadbullet

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 25, 2010
kitsap WA
I have a 243 AI and shoot the 115 VLD around 3100FPS, accuracy goes to hell at long range if I don't clean it often (15-20 rounds). I hate cleaning barrels so I am looking for your favorite way to get rid of those pesky layers of carbon and copper.
TIA

Re: barrel burners

I use GM Top Engine cleaner for carbon and Sweets for copper.

If you have to clean every 15-20 rounds, it might be time for a new barrel. In most F-Class matches, there is no time to clean between strings with pit and scoring duty.

Thanx DG,

barrel is melonited and has 621 rds through it, there better be some life left in it:)
Most matches around here have target service so I have time to clean when I should be in the pit.

I'll give sweets a try.

Have you taken any measurements that would allow you to check for throat wear?

I just checked my 6mm remington and after 430 rounds, there is no measurable wear. Have to admit I was surprised considering it's reputation as a barrel burner.

Moly & Add also, ( hBN tumbled ) .
I have noticed longer runs between cleanings before knocking out the Carbon with it's use on the hot hand-rolled .

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most matches around here have target service so I have time to clean when I should be in the pit.

</div></div>

Are you kidding me. You have never had the luxury of pulling targets? There is absolutely no time to clean between strings of fire at our matches.

I`d also suggest that moly <span style="font-style: italic">is </span> your friend.

I shoot two F-Class matches a month from April to November (sometimes into December) and do not clean until the end of the season. I use bore foams and no brushing as well.

My go to rifle the last 2 years has been a 6BRX with the 107gr SMK`s at about 2890 fps. The 26in. barrel was well used before it was gifted to me as a 24 incher. My scores continue to get better with no cleaning thru the year. Same for two other rifles that typically are loaned to new shooters.

YMMV...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: head2h2o</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: attherange</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most matches around here have target service so I have time to clean when I should be in the pit.

</div></div>

Are you kidding me. You have never had the luxury of pulling targets? There is absolutely no time to clean between strings of fire at our matches. </div></div>

HAHAHA, i have pulled plenty of target when shooting my 308, but not that i switched to the AI, I can choose to have target service and pay for it so I could have time to clean the damn thing.
Back on point, what is a good process that would take around 20 min or so.

Believe me, I'd rather not clean but seems I have to. i am sitting on 2000 115 VLD so moly won't happen till they are gone or the barrel is shot out.
I will then consider molly.

Thanx all for the help.

PS:went to see my buddy Russ Haydon and got all the help I needed.

Hello Everyone,

I had noticed some activity today from this site so I became a member tonight. Thank you kyreloder for mentioning my website ExtremeGunCare.

I first want to say. If a barrel is a dog, nothing can fix it. But this post doesn't seem to be talking about a barrel's lack of accuracy but the carbon and copper fouling issues.

kyreloader had mentioned a product that I carry and we offer services dealing with that product. I don't want my first post to seem like I am advertising products on this forum. If I may at least inform you about the product kyreloader has mentioned.

Dyna Bore Coat is a permanent ceramic solution that seeps into any metal make-up of the bore. Once installed, copper fouling is greatly reduced if not entirely! To clean the bore, after shooting, simply take a few patches to wipe the bore clean.

When people hear this, many assume "snake oil" status. Just 50 years ago, telling someone their phone will be kept in their pocket was the same gibberish! Technology is here, it continues to grow and is brought into the firearms industry. Dyna Bore Coat is an amazing product and I have coated my personal firearms collection prior to going into the firearm industry.

Please Google the product, do some research. You will notice I am one of the premier dealers of this product. You can contact me anytime on my site. It is part of our services we offer to the shooting community.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Jason-
Welcome and yes it does sound like you are advertizing on your first post. infact the whole thread looks like a variation of the old snake oil sales bit where a 'stranger' asks where oh where can he find relief from his vexing problem and lo and behold... there you are!

I'll bet you a shiny nickle the link answers alot of questions and allows anyone interested to contact you for more information.

If it makes any difference to anyone, I do not know Jason and when I bought and used the product it was called Ultra Bore Coat. I used it on the recommendation of John Barsness on another forum for the same problem as the original post.

No advertising here on my part, just trying to give the original poster another option.

thanx all for the help and good links, After sharing my headache with a friend and avid BR shooter, he recommanded slip2000 and sweet 7,62. it worked, it took 4 hours of scrubing and soaking but the bore is now clean as a whistle.
JB bore and Kroil is on my list also for a quick range cleaning.
Extremeguncare, would your product work in a melonited barrel ??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: notquiteright</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jason-
Welcome and yes it does sound like you are advertizing on your first post. infact the whole thread looks like a variation of the old snake oil sales bit where a 'stranger' asks where oh where can he find relief from his vexing problem and lo and behold... there you are!

I'll bet you a shiny nickle the link answers alot of questions and allows anyone interested to contact you for more information. </div></div>

Well it looks like Attherange, who made the inquiry, has been a member since Sept 2010 with 545 posts. Kyreloader, who mentioned the product, has been a member since Jan 2009 with 399 posts. Copper fouling is a constant issue with all shooters.

So Notquiteright can go fly a kite!

Big Country31, I use JB Non Embedding Bore Compound to prep the bore before installing Dyna-Bore Coat. Usually about 30-60 swipes. I wish Brownells sold it by the gallon! Did everyone know Brownells had bought the rights to manufacture it themselves?

Kyreloader, anytime anyone talks about a product dip-shits like Notquiteright thinks it is advertising. I come to forums to find out information about everything dealing with guns. I come to find answers from people who have gone through the same steps as I have. Did Big and I just promote the use of JB? Well yeah but that is because it worked for us in the dilemma Attherange is in.

I use Kroil, but I don't use it on the bore. I use it on my triggers in a little needle bottle so I don't waist it. It flows very easily to me. I also use a product FrogLube for its lubrication and protection.

To Attherange, yes Dyna Bore Coat will work in a melonited barrel. Seems like if we talk about it, dipshit Notquiteright will be thinking we are advertising products on here because we are talking about how to apply Dyna Bore Coat. And since I have installed the product on a few hundred guns, I must be promoting it by giving you information about it, will it work, how to install, etc.

Sorry folks but dipshits like Notquiteright and their snide remarks can go to hell. I'll shove that Nickle where his sun don't shine. In his case it probably does shine.

I am sure I will get some kind of reprimand for this post by the webmaster. Maybe it wasn't very professional, but this is how we do it!

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

A real ATTITUDE on your second post!! I don't know NotQuiteRight, but after reading your second post, I will agree with him. And I sure won't do business with you.

My,my,my-

Yeah Extreme just about covers it! No anger management issue with you!
crazy.gif

You dont read very well when you are angry- said snake oil salesman tactics, not snake oil product. Perhaps some deep breathes while you read?

Now as for shoving that nickle someplace-

Are you sure you REALLY want to try?

The forum rules are simple enough on commercial peddlers pushing their wares. Perhaps you could read up on them?

Since I wasn't trying to sell anything on here, I could care less if you buy something from me or not CamoWildcat. As far as my attitude, you can read into any emotion. But I am going to call out dipshits like Notquiteright, he is just a hypocrite. I'd hate to waste a good Nickle.

I didn't post any links to my site. I tried not to mention the product when I easily could have a few times more. I told people to do research on it by at least Googling it.

I am very knowledgeable about this product since I have visited the manufacture, talk with the owners often and have installed the product on hundreds of guns. I am an open source of knowledge for this particular product.

Did anyone noticed while they were doing their research that Knight Rifles comes with Dyna-Bore Coat on all their Mountaineer Models! Oh wait, was that more advertising because I mentioned Knight Rifles Mountaineer? Awwwww shucks I mentioned another product, and I don't even sell this one.

Good Shooting,

Jason Lumetta
ExtremeGunCare

Now how am I a hypocrite? I dont come here to 'explain' anything I am peddling.

YOU are the one doing all the smarmy pitching and then wanting to shove my shiny nickle someplace it doesnt belong which quite frankly is a check I doubt you can cash.

But for sure you made a splash right off the bat!

Oh if you dont care about selling to hide members just why did you post such a detailed tale about your product?

Have fun

How about both of you take this to PM's and leave your crying bullshit out of these threads????

Hey attherange, here is a completely different take for you. I have shared my 308 with the family for an F-Class shoot many times without any reduction in accuracy between the first and last strings. That's 70x4=280 rounds down the tube without cleaning. As an experiment I went two matches like this ....over 500 rounds and it was still shooting well. I think a couple of things contributed to this:
1. Mild loads: For mid-range, I am only using 41 grains of H4895. This is a pretty modest load that causes virtually no copper fouling.
2. H4895 and other Hodgdon powders are extremely clean-burning.

I use both Krieger and Broughton barrels: hand-lapped. They just don't seem to copper up even when pushing loads.

You're the first person I've ever heard of cleaning his rifle for F-class shoots, but those pullers need to make a little cash anyway.
smile.gif

As a side note, I've learned that sometimes, mild loads are the most accurate. I am consistently shooting my best mid-range scores with this mild load and have no issues on windy days vs the guys pushing their loads.

Higher muzzle velocities and exaggerated copper fouling are no strangers. I honestly believe this problem will remain insoluble until velocities are reduced significantly. This is one of the reasons I chose to employ the .260 instead of the .243.

Greg

Doesn't salt bath nitriding (AKA Tenifer, Melonite, etc.) also increase the cleaning interval? I know coated bullets will but I'd go tungsten (WS2) or hexagonal boron (hBN) before I'd go Moly.

Scooter, I have the same experience you did while shooting 308, went almost 840 rds without cleaning my kreiger but now I have a 243AI and it is fouling pretty quickly, I can't finnish a match without cleaning it unless I don't care about my score.

Fred, i really hope it does, my barrel is melonited and i would hate to know how bad it would foul if it wasn't.
For the latest news, I spent 4 hours in two days session of cleaning the 500 plus rds of fouling, I had layers of carbon over copper, wore out two bronze brushes and half a pack of patches. now this damn things shoots lights out, i can go a whole match without cleaning and my score stays the same (almost)
196-194-194, I am happy with this AI again.
Now I can save money and pull targets like everybody else at the match
Thanx all for the input
keep your barrels clean

Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doesn't salt bath nitriding (AKA Tenifer, Melonite, etc.) also increase the cleaning interval? I know coated bullets will but I'd go tungsten (WS2) or hexagonal boron (hBN) before I'd go Moly. </div></div>

correct,...however the melonite process is hit and miss in terms of uniformity of coverage within a bore. From what our friend says it sounds unlikely that the proccess was properley conducted in his case?

As for the rude and ignorant post from the snake oil seller,.....

Butches bore shine for carbon. Sweets for copper. This is what we use for bench rest 6ppc. This stuff runs like water at the supershoot

Salt bath nitriding can make a barrel last quite a bit longer, but although it could change the surface adhesion it won't do much to smooth out a rough barrel. I wonder if something like the Tubb Final Finish polishing bullets would do more immediate good?

I started with a benchmark barrel and it was melonited through them before a single shot was fired. It was my own laziness and poor knowledge of gun care that lead to my over fouled bore.
this rfle now shoots under 1/2 MOA at 600, I was beat by 6 point by a high master with a 6mmBR, it felt good to a lowly marksman shooting off a bipod and not a rest but I digress. It only takes four patches now to clean the bore after a match and first shot clean is an X every time.

the Tubb final finnish won't touch this barrel, it is way too hard.
A friend of mine has two identical barrels cut with the same reamer and accuracy is the same as mine with my ammo.

life is good again.
cheers.