• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Channel clearance?

Re: Barrel Channel clearance?

Take a dollar bill, fold it in half and slide it all the way to your recoil lug, it should go real easy.

I've only got Canadian dollars I don't know if the change will fit.

....I thought it was funny as hell!

Sounds similar to the business card test. I can fit one of those between the barrel and stock from tip to lug.

-John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Take a dollar bill, fold it in half and slide it all the way to your recoil lug, it should go real easy. </div></div>

The 70 year old guy that showed me that in 1988 had over 100 sections of land and over 100 pre 64 M70s.

He is still alive, barely.

The canadian "loonie" is a real issue, I am not sure I would want a loonie under my barrel..

But if you can slip a canadian "beaver" around your barrel, then you should be doing o.k.

O.k. to be serious, I first do the business card check.

I've run into issues with the barrel touching the stock during firing when the space is so close and I use a Bipod. If it's a tactical style stock, I say make it a good 1/8". Looks cooler too... IMO

Make sure that the stock is stiff enough, so that sling tension won't pull the stock over to touch the barrel. Bigger space is better, but ugly.

With a well bedded rifle and stiff stock a small gap is OK, but I prefer to be able to run an oily rag through right up to the bedding to get the crud out. around 2mm.
edi

Be careful to check that clearance frequently, as things can warp, and junk can accumulate, especially if the gap is on the large side.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful to check that clearance frequently, as things can warp, and junk can accumulate, especially if the gap is on the large side. </div></div>

Are you always on top of things G???

Most accuracy gunsmiths will tell you that a dollor bill folded is not enough clearence to keep the bbl from contacting the stock while fireing.