• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel channel on B&C Light Tactical stock

pklin1297

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
Fontana, CA
Hello all,

Can someone let me know how wide the barrel channel is on a B&C Light Tac stock? Looks like it tapers in in the first couple of inches past the recoil lug and then straightens out...

Asking because I currently have a Rock barrel blank that is 1.20" for 4", and then straight tapers to 0.930" at the muzzle, and I am wondering if any work would be needed to widen the barrel channel on the stock for this barrel, from what I've seen from pictures, it does.

Also, what is the preferred way to widen barrel channel? I've read about the sandpaper around a round stick method, but wondering if there are other methods. Would any repair to the stock be needed after other than a paint job?

Thanks.

Re: Barrel channel on B&C Light Tactical stock

The channel was designed to fit the Remington Varmint Taper. It is a perfect fit for the SPS-V, 700P, PSS, etc.

I have not had to open mine up, so I can't comment on the second part of your question.

You will definitely need to open up that channel. I had your exact same setup and it had to be opened up quite a bit. Get a good gunsmith to do it. I did mine and ended up taking too much out the channel and had to back fill it. These stocks have a aluminum extension that goes down the length of the forearm also.

wrap some sandpaper around a socket the size of the barrel, and goto work.

I opened mine up to accept a #7 Shilen. Worked and looked great.

Custom223Leupold312-20-080001.jpg

I would use the barrel as a mandrel to cast a new channel.

Build up the barrel with layers of masking tape until the desired amount of gap is created, then cover it with something smoother, I use wide vinyl tape.

Enlarge the channel until there is 1/32"-1/16" of additional clearance around the taped barrel when the action screws are tight. Mask off the external portions of the stock where you don't want the filler to migrate.

Apply suitable release agent to the barreled action.

Fill the barrel with enough of a suitable casting compound that a small amount oozes out when the action is mounted, wipe down the excess so the masking is uncovered, and allow the items to cure.

Once hardened, pop out the barreled action, remove the tape, do appropriate cleanup, and admire your work.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would use the barrel as a mandrel to cast a new channel.

Build up the barrel with layers of masking tape until the desired amount of gap is created, then cover it with something smoother, I use wide vinyl tape.

Enlarge the channel until there is 1/32"-1/16" of additional clearance around the taped barrel when the action screws are tight. Mask off the external portions of the stock where you don't want the filler to migrate.

Fill the barrel with enough of a suitable casting compound that a small amount oozes out when the action is mounted, wipe down the excess so the masking is uncovered, and allow the items to cure.

Once hardened, pop out the barreled action, remove the tape, do appropriate cleanup, and admire your work.

Greg </div></div>

Hi Greg,

Do you have pics illustrating what you have described above? I believe I have a mental image of what you are talking about but can't seem to figure out how the new casting is attached to the stock, or are you talking about making a new stock entirely from ground up? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would use the barrel as a mandrel to cast a new channel.

Greg </div></div>

So from this I am gathering that it is ok to take sandpaper to the stock? I also have a Bell & Carlson barrel channel to open up and have found that the professionals are all backlogged with work. I plan to start out with 80 grit sandpaper and go from there. Is a final sanding required or does the barrel channel imperfections get hidden with the filler?