• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel choice for 308

Pbcarch

Private
Minuteman
Jul 3, 2020
So i a customizing my tikka t3x tac a1. Putting it in a mpa matrix chasis and adding a timney trigger. I have the choice of getting a rock creek barrel prefit made….I can get a MTU 26” 1:9 twist button rifled or MTU 24” 1:10 twist cut rifled . I am shooting prs and my local series max at 735 yards normally but occasional 800 and 1000 yard targets. I use 175 grn sierras currently and plan on staying with 175 grn.

Which barrel would you opt for?

I just ordered a McGowen barrel in 300-WM for my MPA/Spencer barrel that I've just shot out. Purchase based upon some great recommendations from people I trust. The ordering experience was great, but I can't (yet) speak to form or quality.

Ok thanks guys…seems like 1:10 is a choice fr the flexibility. So no real concern with losing 2” of barrel to the 26” ?

No 22" is the best compromise, frank has a podcast on short 308win give it a listen

All else being pretty much equal, the consensus is to choose cut rifled over button rifled.
You will lose practically nothing going from 26" to 24". depending on quality, type of rifling etc... you may even pick up speed.
Either barrel will do just fine, for your intended purposes, 24" is probably the best choice.