• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel chop? Advice requested

ccjcc81

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2023
SE Texas
Hi guys, I'm new to bolt-action rifles, and I have multiple questions about barrel shortening and gunsmithing. May I trouble you to share your knowledge?

1. Who can you recommend to perform high-quality barrel shortening, bore-concentric threading, and refinishing to factory finish? Do you know of any in Houston, TX?

I want a budget-friendly bolt-action .308 with the shortest barrel possible and threaded to accept my 5/8x24 suppressor adapter and compatible with a Magpul Hunter stock. I haven't found any 16" .308s except the Talo version of the Ruger American Hunter that is Cerakoted silver. I'd rather have it black. I've seen the Ruger GSR and Mossberg MVP and I'm not really interested in those. At this point I like the Ruger American Predator, but there is no 16" variant available. If I'm going to have the barrel chopped, I think I'd like to have my suppressor adapter pinned and welded to the barrel and have it cut as short as legally possible. Is this a bad idea? I'm familiar with the ballistic disadvantages of a shorter barrel, and I've decided that I will sacrifice ballistics for handiness. This will be a rifle to learn how to use a bolt action rifle and high-powered scope, not a 1000m benchrest gun, after all. Here in SE Texas most hunting is done within 50m-300m, at least where I hunt.

I'm poor. I don't want to spend too much. Do you have any recommendations for a shop that can do this work with a reasonable turnaround time and reasonably priced? Is there any other advice you would provide?

Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge.

This is what I want, not available.
Ruger American Rifle Hunter .308WIN 16.38" 5rd Green MPN: 26995

1685905207960.png

This is what's available. I like it except the action/barrel color.
TALO DISTRIBUTOR EXCLUSIVE
MODEL NUMBER: 26997 CALIBER: 308 WIN

1685905243101.png

Muzzle device, OSS/Huxwrx Helix QD
1685905279689.png

to me it's all up to you and what you want . remembering once you take it off you can't put it back without buying another new barrel .

Reactions: ccjcc81
Personally, I would leave it at 20". I hunt eastern whitetails with a 20" Rem 700 and its a fine length to my mind.

But up to you.

Boom. 16.5" after pin and weld. It's pretty awesome, guys. It feels really handy. That heavy stainless steel can wasn't nice after 18". A small amount made a big difference.
20230623_152849.jpg

Buy the Talo gun. It's most of what you want. Gunsmithing is just more money. Chopping then pinning and welding is not worth it for what you are doing. You are overthinking it. Have you shot and handled the Magpul stock before? I didn't like the one I got and it was a lot heavier than I expected.

My advice to a new shooter trying to save money would be to buy the 18" Predator model and see how it does and then go from there.

I bought an 18" predator and Pais $219 to have the barrel chopped to 14.5 and the muzzle device pinned and welded. I'm very satisfied with it. I'll shoot it this evening or tomorrow morning. It's pictured above.

I have handled a magpul stock at the store, and I liked it. I've never shot a rifle with the magpul stock, nor have I lugged one around the farm yet. I may not buy one, don't know yet.

Good job.

14.5 308 will easily kill any north American game animal within the distance you're planning on shooting. Smart move going handy 👍