• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Clearance

Ruger15151

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2020
I just received 2 new Benchmark MTU barrels from Straight Jacket Armory. First thing I noticed when mounting them in my MPA chassis is that the barrel very close to the first set of ribs in the barrel channel. Once the action screws are torqued, I can just slip a piece of paper between the barrel and chassis. That is about .003-.005 clearance.

I can't imagine that these barrels will flex much. However, what is the minimum amount of clearance I should have before the barrel touches the chassis and affects the harmonics?

Barrels flex. I think you need a better solution beyond your imagination regarding barrel flex.

that said, if it were me, I’d shoot it and if it shoots, move on. If it doesn’t, you know where to look. Until then, if it’s not broken……

best of luck.

I just received 2 new Benchmark MTU barrels from Straight Jacket Armory. First thing I noticed when mounting them in my MPA chassis is that the barrel very close to the first set of ribs in the barrel channel. Once the action screws are torqued, I can just slip a piece of paper between the barrel and chassis. That is about .003-.005 clearance.

I can't imagine that these barrels will flex much. However, what is the minimum amount of clearance I should have before the barrel touches the chassis and affects the harmonics?
I just put a heavy varmint in my MPA and had clearance issues. I put adhesive sand paper on a deep socket and sanded it with a drill. Took about 15 minutes and I have about .035 at the tightest spot

Look up the numbers for size changes with temperature changes for the type and size of the metal used in your barrel. Then calculate to make sure you have the clearance you need. I’d probably just shoot it and go from there. It’d be a lot easier.

I have an MPA BA comp chassis and a PVA M24 barrel.

Looking at barrel specs, the MTU is .050 bigger at the chamber and .03 bigger at the muzzle. Translating to English, that is .025 closer to the chassis at the chamber and .015ish closer at the point where the chassis ends.

Just looking at my rifle from the muzzle end, ( it is unloaded and all ammo was moved to the next county:LOL:) I'm seeing almost .125" clearance all the way around.

Not sure why yours would be so close??????????????????????