• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Coin - a word to the wise

WittyOwl

Internet opinions are worth what you pay for them.
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2022
NE Pennsylvania
Just a little info...all (most) premium barrel manufacturers stamp the end of their barrel blanks with their brand, caliber, bore size, twist rate, material used, and sometimes even a production serial number. Other larger mass production manufacturers often do not due to volume and time constraints. If you are ordering a barrel from whatever company you choose to finish the blank, always request or demand that you get that coin for a few specific reasons. First reason is that if there is any problem with the bore in production (and yes, it happens to the best of them), the first thing they will do is ask for this information, so it's a good idea to keep this coin handy until you have determined that all is well. Secondly, it's a surefire way of making sure that you have gotten exactly as you paid for and will ensure you have a record for future purchases. Lastly, if you are an avid shooter and go through a lot of barrels, these are nice to have around. I know that @padom has a ton of these and has already or is in the process of making a table top under a thick coating of urethane out of his collection.

John

Attachments

• 20230119_081613.jpg
    20230119_081613.jpg
    594.9 KB · Views: 197
Why not just keep the invoice somewhere?
Loys of reports of shady as fuck gun-plumbers. While they could be faked, it’s harder to fake this barrel coin than it is to charge Bartlein/Kreiger money for a green mountain barrel on an emailed invoice.

Reactions: WittyOwl
Loys of reports of shady as fuck gun-plumbers. While they could be faked, it’s harder to fake this barrel coin than it is to charge Bartlein/Kreiger money for a green mountain barrel on an emailed invoice.
Lots of shady everywhere, but unfortunately the gun biz has it in spades.
JS

If you are getting work done where you need to worry about this then you are getting work done in the wrong place and deserve anything you get. If you are that worried then buy the blank and send it in to get put on. I know "But then he could just put another barrel on!" and with that I refer you to the first sentence.

Also I don't need a ton of useless shit like little metal rings in the gun room. Enough crap in there already.

So, if I sell you a Chevy but write "Rolls Royce" on the invoice, you'll pay me for the Rolls? I just can't do it.
If you can make a Chevy look like a Rolls Royce, sure. I misread the original post is all. I thought you were buying a blank from the manufacturer , Bartlein, Kreiger, etc, where they would send you an email invoice. Not buying a barrel from somewhere else. Who/what qualifies as a mass producer that is scamming people like this?

it’s harder to fake this barrel coin than it is to charge Bartlein/Kreiger money for a green mountain barrel on an emailed invoice.

A set of letter punches and 10 min of work, I can fake you one.

• Haha
Reactions: Baron23
A set of letter punches and 10 min of work, I can fake you one.
Absolutely. But, there have been a number of “hey, I paid for an X barrel, but I think I got a y barrel.” And Frank Green has posted at least a couple of “had a guy send a barrel in and it’s not ours” threads. A barrel coin is addditional info, but it is not foolproof. I maintain that faking a barrel coin is more effort than inputting false info into an electronic invoice. And, if one were to receive a faked barrel coin, that is proof positive of nefarious shenanigans. No smith is wiggiling out from under that with “oops, honest mistake, Send it back,” if you have a fake coin in hand.

Edit- welcome back!

Reactions: 308pirate
And the is is something we really need to worry about? Lol I’ll answer. No it’s not if you use a reputable smith.
I agree with use a reputable smith. But I’ve been burned by a place a lot of people said would do good work.

I agree with use a reputable smith. But I’ve been burned by a place a lot of people said would do good work.
There is intentionally burned and mistakes. If people speak highly of the place then most likely the latter. But would getting a "barrel coin" from them made everything all better?

There is intentionally burned and mistakes. If people speak highly of the place then most likely the latter. But would getting a "barrel coin" from them made everything all better?
No it sure would not have. And no it wasn’t mistakes. After having issues I had a lot of people privately tell me there horror stories.

No it sure would not have. And no it wasn’t mistakes. After having issues I had a lot of people privately tell me there horror stories.
So the smith actually screwed you over on purpose?

One of the places I have bought barrels from leaves the “coin” right on the barrel.

I actually prefer it this way now that I have a few kicking around.

One of the places I have bought barrels from leaves the “coin” right on the barrel.

I actually prefer it this way now that I have a few kicking around.
Should add, zermatt action. So no cone breach or counterbore.

Should add, zermatt action. So no cone breach or counterbore.

Why would you want that? Just more crevices to collect fouling and crap. I want my barrels smooth in that area.

Reactions: padom
It’s .010 clearance there, if a stamped letter collects enough shit to make a difference I have not seen it.

What it has done is stopped me from having to pull up the build sheet to see what barrel is what twist.

Barrel stamp would do the same thing but if you like it that way then it's yours. It leaves enough so you can read the twist? Got a pic?

Would it cause an issue? Maybe not but it's just one other thing that's there that could.

5ED75011-B418-4A54-945F-C2F8AD0F2F20.jpeg

C52F4515-AB32-4E07-9681-F47BAB08734D.jpeg

Not bartleins info but same idea.

Last edited:
Yeah that would drive me nuts! LOL
At first it did. Then when I went to replace it with a 6BRA, I could not remember what BRA barrel was what. Figured I could live with it after that.

At first it did. Then when I went to replace it with a 6BRA, I could not remember what BRA barrel was what. Figured I could live with it after that.
Your barrels aren't marked on the outside?

If this thread were titled: "Breathing - a word to the wise", I wonder how many would argue that holding your breath is a better option...

JS

I had a smith save me a barrel coin last year.
Cut 1/8” thick.

My daughters first custom barrel all done for her by our local smith.

Making her a nice wood coaster with it imbedded in it.
Hopefully a reminder of a cool memory.