• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Contour Comparison

YoteMortician

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2022
Nebraska
I am in the process of ordering a new barrel for my AR15. In the photos there are 2 contours that I am interested in but question whether one will be more accurate than the other. The HBAR has a thicker front half OD of the barrel (.980”) stepping down to a narrower end half OD of the barrel (.730”). The SOCOM Heavy on the other hand has a a straight contour after the shank measuring .850” throughout the length of the barrel (except for the journal). Will one barrel deal with heat better vs the other? How about accuracy? Any input and experience is appreciated!

Edit: The rifle I am rebarreling is a 22 nosler that I intend to rebarrel with a 20” X-Caliber 416R SS barrel. I use this rifle as my thermal coyote rig. I am more concerned about accuracy than weight reduction as the barrel that is on it now barely shoots MOA and I lose confidence in it knowing that.

Attachments

• C0764816-9C94-4665-8D17-7025394612BD.jpeg
    C0764816-9C94-4665-8D17-7025394612BD.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 83
  • A5FC257E-F135-44DE-AF68-7D7BE80B9E90.jpeg
    A5FC257E-F135-44DE-AF68-7D7BE80B9E90.jpeg
    118.2 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
....rate of fire affects rate of heat buildup that could affect accuracy. The thicker diameter will take longer to build up. Length of barrel also plays a factor, the length + thickness affects the harmonics from the firing. Harmonic vibration/wave can be more exaggerated in a thinner, longer barrel, aka "barrel whip". The larger diameter at muzzle end could also allow for 5/8x24 muzzle threading which some theorize prevents distorting the muzzle they believe the 1/2x28 threading does (for .223/556 calibers). Factors to be considered is weight and the distribution of said weight in regards to balance, and length again impacts this aspect.

...what you didn't mention is caliber, desired length and intended purpose...crucial considerations that drive what contour could best meet your objectives, be it singular or multiple.

....rate of fire affects rate of heat buildup that could affect accuracy. The thicker diameter will take longer to build up. Length of barrel also plays a factor, the length + thickness affects the harmonics from the firing. Harmonic vibration/wave can be more exaggerated in a thinner, longer barrel, aka "barrel whip". The larger diameter at muzzle end could also allow for 5/8x24 muzzle threading which some theorize prevents distorting the muzzle they believe the 1/2x28 threading does (for .223/556 calibers). Factors to be considered is weight and the distribution of said weight in regards to balance, and length again impacts this aspect.

...what you didn't mention is caliber, desired length and intended purpose...crucial considerations that drive what contour could best meet your objectives, be it singular or multiple.
Thanks for your reply! I edited the post to include that information. Although I do not plan on mag dumping (10 rd mag) often, it will happen on occasion. I also would enjoy shooting the rifle more at the range without the shot group opening up as significantly after each shot. The barrel it has now opens up unacceptably after 3 shots with 30-45 seconds between shots.

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! I edited the post to include that information. Although I do not plan on mag dumping (10 rd mag) often, it will happen on occasion. I also would enjoy shooting the rifle more at the range without the shot group opening up as significantly after each shot. The barrel it has now opens up unacceptably after 3 shots with 30-45 seconds between shots.
That sucks. My factory sporter barrels on my hunting rifles don’t do that and are much larger cartridges.

The contour between the two you mentioned will make little difference. Both are heavy.

That sucks. My factory sporter barrels on my hunting rifles don’t do that and are much larger cartridges.

How far are you shooting at coyotes at night? A one moa rifle and ammo combo should do the trick on a coyote a long ways out.
I agree. Other than the groups, I love the rifle. That’s why I’m barrel swapping.

Reactions: wade2big
I agree. Other than the groups, I love the rifle. That’s why I’m barrel swapping.
I was editing my post when you quoted me.

Both your choices are heavy and will perform similarly in the heat department I woukd imagine. Which barrel maker are you considering?

I was editing my post when you quoted me.

Both your choices are heavy and will perform similarly in the heat department I woukd imagine. Which barrel maker are you considering?
X-caliber. I would ask them but they are closed today and I’m about as impatient as coffee shits. Do you think the SOCOM Heavy would have better harmonics due to a larger OD past the gas block? I’ve been running circles in my head all day with theories of which one is going to perform better for what I’d like.

X-caliber. I would ask them but they are closed today and I’m about as impatient as coffee shits. Do you think the SOCOM Heavy would have better harmonics due to a larger OD past the gas block? I’ve been running circles in my head all day with theories of which one is going to perform better for what I’d like.
I guess you did have that information in your edit of the original post. I should retain i formation better. Lol.

I don’t like large OD’s past the gasblock. To me its all unnecessary weight at the end of the barrel. I’m definitely not well versed in semi autos so take it at that. I wouldn’t worry about barrel harmonics either. Pencil barrels shoot well. Shooting that cartridge I am sure you hand load. You control that.

I guess you did have that information in your edit of the original post. I should retain i formation better. Lol.

I don’t like large OD’s past the gasblock. To me its all unnecessary weight at the end of the barrel. I’m definitely not well versed in semi autos so take it at that. I wouldn’t worry about barrel harmonics either. Pencil barrels shoot well. Shooting that cartridge I am sure you hand load. You control that.
Alrighty, thanks for your advice! I don’t have a preference as far as weight goes as I typically don’t walk long distances using this rifle. So I guess I’ll pull straws and see which barrel ends up at my door.

I haven't found any correlation between barrel profile and mechanical accuracy outside of mag dumps (30+rounds) followed by group shooting. MY accuracy potential is way easier to reach the heavier a gun gets, but has nothing to do with the barrels potential. But of course that's a compromise like everything else, so I choose barrel contours based on my desired weight and intended use and accuracy is what it is. I've had pencil barrels that shot great and truck axles that were just okay, and the opposite, and I don't think profile was the driving factor in any of those cases.

I haven't found any correlation between barrel profile and mechanical accuracy outside of mag dumps (30+rounds) followed by group shooting. MY accuracy potential is way easier to reach the heavier a gun gets, but has nothing to do with the barrels potential. But of course that's a compromise like everything else, so I choose barrel contours based on my desired weight and intended use and accuracy is what it is. I've had pencil barrels that shot great and truck axles that were just okay, and the opposite, and I don't think profile was the driving factor in any of those cases.
Okay, glad to hear. This might make the choice a little easier. Thanks

Reactions: TonyTheTiger