• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel contour for 7mm-08

burns93

Private
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2022
Utah
I am building a rifle for precision long range and have decided to go with 7mm-08 in a savage axis action(yes I’m aware there were better options but this is what I wanted to use) i am trying to find what barrel contour would be best? I am wanting a heavier barrel without having to carry a truck axle for a barrel. Any advice would be much appreciated, I don’t plan on doing PRS or any other competition right now because I’m new to long range in this aspect. My longest shot so far has been 350 yards.

There is no best. Just pick something in the middle, like a Rem varmint or med Palma.
Is there a big difference between med Palma and a Bull contour? I’ve been going back and forth between the two since I’ve been trying to decide what to go with. I’ve been looking through Criterion barrels

I dont know which maker you're looking at but Bull mostly is just a colloquial term for a heavy barrel. The rem varmint and the palma contours are separate from other heavy contours in that they neck down sharply forward of the chamber, vs being a straight taper which end up being quite a bit heavier. You’ll give up nothing in accuracy. Most makers have the contour charts with dimensions and weights which will give you an idea of relative weight.

Reactions: burns93 and Modoc
Brux Rem varmint on top, Bartlein Heavy Varmint on bottom. The heavy varmint barrel shown here is 2 lbs heavier than the rem varmint, and would definitely be considered a “truck axle”
1C80791B-A7E4-4F66-A6B7-E43EE12AB16D.jpeg

Reactions: burns93
These are 2 screenshots from the criterion barrels website that I been looking at ordering from. From the information on their site bull is in the same category as the varmint contours

Attachments

• EC06E8E9-49ED-4E25-A5CE-32B785164392.png
    EC06E8E9-49ED-4E25-A5CE-32B785164392.png
    210.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 8FEE6B41-2529-452D-80B6-CD2057AC041C.png
    8FEE6B41-2529-452D-80B6-CD2057AC041C.png
    255.2 KB · Views: 49
Not a lot of packing around going in on non-comp, precision long range. So go heavy. I always look to stay bigger than .900” at the muzzle for whatever my finished length is. Heavy varmint is the smallest I ever go. MTU is my usual choice. Ideally, I want a full diameter shank for 5” followed by a straight taper to something close to an inch at my finished length.

ETA: Everyone uses different words for their contours. Criterion’s “varmint” and “MTU” are different than Bartlein’s, for example. See attached chart. When ordering Bartlein, it’s an 8 or 9 for me, depending on finish length.

ETA: I think the sharp taper of the Palma contours looks weird as shit.

Attachments

• 721C8684-719E-49D0-81DB-8EDEA3557EA0.png
    721C8684-719E-49D0-81DB-8EDEA3557EA0.png
    599.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I am the stupidest guy but I was going to suggest a medium bull barrel. And yes, it adds a smidge of weight. But there is always a trade-off one must face.

I appreciate the help this has definitely helped me understand this a lot more an I think I know what ima go with now

These are 2 screenshots from the criterion barrels website that I been looking at ordering from. From the information on their site bull is in the same category as the varmint contours
So the bull is gonna be the truck axle you didn't want. Do the medium palma.

24" heavy Palma.

There's no one right answer to your question. What's considered a truck axle to some is light for others and vice versa.

Heavy Palma is as light as I like to go for target rifles, but this will still make for a heavyish rifle.