• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Contour Suggestions

Gwak2006

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2021
Ringgold
I have a Rem 700 I haven't shot in a while and thinking of making it a truck/ short deer rifle. Any suggestions on specs for a Remage barrel and contour. I'm thinking an 18in 308 as I have tons of reloading components. This will be in a Bravo chassis and need to be threaded for a suppressor. I am a little worried about the balance with a short barrel, but don't want to super heavy either. I'm sure a lot of you guys have been down this road before and I don't want to waste time and money.

I would say do a criterion remmage in mtu contour. Whole lotta variables left on the table but based on info provided thats what I would do.

ABFC866F-CA01-4687-9E86-A8B6542E4749.jpeg
The varmint profiles are a good compromise I think.

Reactions: Steel head
Any idea of the weight and how do you think it would handle in a tree stand or off the back of an ATV?

The short barrels and Bravo stock work well together.
Going carbon with the Varmint profile a bit longer accomplishes the same balance.

For a truck and tree stand rifle I prefer the short barrel.

I just put together a general purpose 6-BR with a Proof comp contour with most of the heavy section removed. Finished at 22" and it balances nicely.
The XRS-1 is already off of it and I installed an XRS-2 last night.
20220121_164841.jpg

MDT XRS stock.
Proof 7.5t in 6-BR.
Cherry bomb.
TT Diamond 2-stage.
MDT 10 round BR mag.
Kauger PRS action.
Bushnell XRS-2.
Harris bipod.
F-1 supressor. Not in pic.

It could end up in a Bravo. Time will tell.

Prefit barrel by Archer Custom Rifles.
Notice the markings line up. Very nice touch.

20220121_153831.jpg

Any idea of the weight and how do you think it would handle in a tree stand or off the back of an ATV?
I’m not sure, maybe 14 lbs as pictured there with all that included.

Both pics have an 18” 6xc or 6.5 creed barrel in in the varmint profile, can’t remember which was which now. It’s been a couple years.

I used it in a 4x4 box blind just fine. It’s not going to be ultra light but it’s compact enough and not overly unwieldy with the can on the end to preclude swinging it around at critters

869D9117-1169-41C8-8507-7FC92251EBB9.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Steel head