• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel contour

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
I am building a custom 300 win and am trying to decide between a 4 and 5 contour barrel from Rock Creek. The other option I was looking at is a 5 fluted to save weight. I want it to be accurate off the bench, but is going to primarily be a hunting rifle. Weight is an issue, but I am a bigger guy. Is it necessary to go to a 5 contour to have an accurate 800-1000 yard gun? A.J. Brown is building the rifle for me. Any thoughts?

Re: barrel contour

For the most part there would be no real difference in accuracy between the two. I would say save your money on the fluting and drop to the #4 contour.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

barrel contour does not affect accuracy that much. it mostly affects the rate at which the barrel heats up.

A <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">quality </span></span>#3 or #4 screwed on by a<span style="font-weight: bold"> <span style="color: #FF0000">competent smith</span></span> will be all you will ever need for a primary hunting rifle in that caliber.
I have a 24" #4 on a 7WSM hunter and occasionally wish I had dropped a contour for weight savings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jpspeeddemon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">barrel contour does not affect accuracy that much. it mostly affects the rate at which the barrel heats up. </div></div>

The straighter the barrel blank and the more uniform the bore and groove dimensions and more uniform the twist the more forgiving the barrel is going to be. Again the straighter the barrel blank the more forgiving it is going to be when it comes to heat etc...

It's an old saying that a heavier contour barrel will shoot better than a lighter one. I agree with this only to an extent. If the barrel has a bow in it (our terminology for bent etc...) the heavier contour will resist walking etc...as it heats up.

I run the med. type palma contour which is similar to a Rem. varmint on my sling guns etc...and they will shoot with or out shoot any HV contour barrel. I've seen LV contour barrels out shoot a Unlimited class bench rifle with a barrel diameter of 1.450 in bench matches etc...

Accuracy Intl. guns on the .338 Lapua AX rifle are running a similar palma type contour. They tested 10 barrels at a 1000 yards and all where shooting in the .4-.6 moa range with box ammo. A straight taper heavier contour barrel wouldn't have been any better.

The old saying holds true. You get what you pay for.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels