• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel contour?

SourMash

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
GA
I'm a complete new guy at custom guns. Can y'all please explain to me about barrel contour and what it affects? Or at least tell me where I can find some info to read about it?

Thanks,
Andy

Thanks Rancilio, I will check those links out and educate myself.

OP, your question is a bit broad to give you any sort of definitive answer. What type of rifle are you building? For hunting/target/tactical? Do you reload? I somewhat recently posted a similar thread in relation to a hunting build and realized my question could be a bit more specific. I would really like to contribute and help you out but need a bit more info as to your purpose. Thanks,
Adam

Yeah this can go anywhere. I've seen spotter barrels shoot .5 MOA no problem, and I've seen M24 contour barrels shoot .1-.2" groups. All will shoot accurately if its a quality barrel with quality smithing, contours really start playing into effect on repeated rounds (as the barrel heats), you'll also run into a lot of opinions on fluting, some people argue it stiffens a barrel, while others say it does not, but keeps the same stiffness while reducing weight. Fluting can also warp the barrel if not done properly (usually its a good idea to have the barrel manufacturer do any fluting).