• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel contours

Nick Danger

Private
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2020
What are the pros and cons on barrel contours and lengths when building a long range 300 win mag? I'm leaning towards a sendero contour in 24"... No hunting just bench and back of trucks :cool:

Considering the amount of powder the 300 Win Mag can swallow up and that powder usually being slow or slower burning, a barrel in the 26"+ or more range might be a good idea.

Seriously doubt you are going to shoot a 'Rattle Battle' string with a 300 Win Mag, or for that matter a 200 yd. or 300 yd. rapid fire string which is 10 shots in 60 seconds and 10 shots in 70 seconds respectively. With that in mind you would have little need for a straight taper and or an MTU taper and Sendero probably should work for you.

Last edited:
For what you are wanting it for I would go 28" in a MTU/Proof Comp/Heavy Varmint contour. No reason to go lighter Sendero profile as the weight of the heavier contour barrels will make the recoil less and shooting more fun even with a brake. Also the 28" will allow the slow burning powder to give you more velocity for reaching out farther.

Weight is the only negative to a heavy/long barrel. Everything else will be a positive imo

Reactions: Nick Danger
As Rob01 said….I’d go at least 28”. A 30” won’t hurt ya either. So your not hunting with it…so basically a target gun. MTU or a hvy varmint contour. Or a straight blank. 5R rifling and a 1-9 twist. The 9 twist will let you handle up to 230gr bullets. I’d use the A-19 chamber reamer. Don’t use SAAMI spec reamer. It's not conducive to accuracy.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Last edited:
I would not go any shorter than 30 inch and a 9 or 10 twist barrel .I'd prefer a 9 or 9.3 myselfor faster it you wantged to shoot heavier bulletts.

Reactions: Nick Danger