• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel cool down?

bobbyblank

Private
Minuteman
Mar 17, 2009
Sacramento, Comiefornia
Takeing the new rifle down saturday to see what she likes. Getting as many different boxes as i can find, but i was wondering about heat. I know it makes bigtime differences in large caliber rifles, but what kind of cool down should i give the rifle between groups, or between different brands? Or will it matter at all in small caliber .22?

The barrel is a 21" Bull barrel, I just hate to spend all the time figureing out the best ammo to use, if all my effort into charting different ammo groups will be tossed out because i ran it to hot.

Thanks!

bobby

Re: Barrel cool down?

rimfires don't need to be cleaned very often at all. You are mostly only dealing with powder fouling. Def not at 50 to 100 rounds. More like 5000 rounds.

JMO.
-dan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deersniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rimfires don't need to be cleaned very often at all. You are mostly only dealing with powder fouling. Def not at 50 to 100 rounds. More like 5000 rounds.

JMO.
-dan </div></div>

Every 10 bricks eh?

http://www.riflebarrels.com/support/rimfire_maintenance.htm

http://members.cox.net/riflesilhouette/cleaning.htm

I'd suggest cleaning between each different box(50 rounds) with a couple fouling shots before trying for the best accuracy.

I already planned on cleaning after every box, makes me feel better knowing there is some kind of control. I was thinking more about the barrel temp. Never owned a bull barrel, so didnt know if it should sit for a few minutes between brands to cool off any.

P.s. I think every 5000 is a little much for any .22 really. My Remington Nylon 66's would start to have feeding issuse after 600-900 rounds of not cleaning. I clean all my rifles after every range trip just because i like to clean them, and its a good time to look for rust ext.. It also makes me feel more like a man
laugh.gif
lol.

What kind of rifle. If it's a bolt action, there's no way you're going to get the barrel hot enough to worry about it. If it's a semi-auto and you're just hosing rounds, then it might be a factor. But even then it's rather unlikely.

Regards to cleaning, everytime you clean, it going to take another ~20rds before the barrel begins to shoot back to where is was, prior to cleaning. The barrel has to re-season with the bullet lube. That's why most serious 22lr shooters don't clean very often. Do keep the action and chamber clean, but don't clean the barrel often. If you do, expect to put about 20rds through before shooting any serious groups. If you change ammo, then you have to shoot another 10-20rds to season it.

clean after every shot..................j/k

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lazy21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">clean after every shot..................j/k </div></div>

Always told myslef i would never be "that" guy lol
laugh.gif

if you want to know how your rifle will shoot on the first shot,wait a couple of minutes between shots. All my target rifles shoot the cold barrel shot to a different spot than the group shots. If going for groups, then fire a fouler then shoot for group by shooting the same conditions as your as your first shot for record. Clean between ammo changes and as said above, re-season the barrel before determining if it likes the ammo.
I just tried some Eley Team ammo in the Anschutz. I didn't clean first and the first two groups were terrible. After the lube set in, the rifle shot this amm very well. BTW, shoot for group size, don't waste time changing scope settings till you decide on which ammo the rifle likes. The hardest part will be your consistency in repeating your shot. When I put someone new behind my rifle,they don't always shoot as tight a group as I do.
They are not consistent it point of aim and thus have a flier they caused. The groups below are 5 shots per bull, indoors at 50 feet with Palma receiver sights on my Anschutz 54. I was shooting Eley Club Xtra
AnshutzPalmasites.jpg

I am going to try to document my groups as best as i can. Takeing my camera and my digital caliper to take pictures of grouping and reference them when i get home. Not worried about sighting it to good until i find a few ammo choices i like. I have some Blazer, American Eagle, CCI Standard Veloc, and some Federal Bulk sitting in my garage right now. Looking to get another 10-15 more brands with some more subsonic and match/target boxes. Whatever my wallet can support
laugh.gif

Im just praying that it will like some cheaper stuff! Would be great if it shoots CCI standard or Federal Bulk fairly well
laugh.gif

We'll see saturday, Ill try to get some pictures up as well.

Any good rimfire deserves to be cleaned between brands of ammo to get the best results and information that you want. After you clean you will need to fire some fouling shots. If you are just changing different lots of ammo you can get by without cleaning. The biggest thing that causes rimfires to not shoot right is the dreaded "doughnut".
This problem arises when firing a roung and just ahead of the chamber a ring forms made from the spent powder. If you don't remove this ring when you clean you will get flyers and larger groups.
Also each time you fire you leave carbon and left over priming compound in the barrel. If you don't believe me the next time you run a patch down the barrel inspect the patch and you will feel the grit.
I shoot 22 rf benchrest and I clean after every 50 round or each target that I choot. I use a short cleaning rod with a nylon brush to get rid of the doughnut and the 2 wet patches followed by 3 dry patches.
Just My Two Cents Worth
larryj

I clean my Sav MkII completely if I change brands of ammo or after 2 bricks. In between I run a dry patch every 100 to 200 rounds and clean the breach/throat area to make sure I'm not getting a carbon ring.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Matthew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make sure you try Remington. I've always had good luck with their .22 ammo. </div></div>

That's just cruel. Remington .22 ammo sucks.

I am not an afficianado of cleaning rimfires. Mine tend to look kinda slovenly, but as long as they shoot, and as long as they cycle, I'm good to go.

Heat? Unless you're looking for BR grade accuracy, I don't think it's a biggie.

I see you believe in a bull barrel.

I did some experimenting with heavier barrels, and concluded that with rimfires, it pays to bed the barrel, rather than the receiver.

I then tried the same thing with sporter weight barrels, and found that when they are bedded, you can't tell much difference between them and bull barrels.

So in my estimation, beyond adding mass and steadying the firearm, they may not be as necessary as one might believe up front.

Greg