• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Cooler - Any good?

I have one of the Chamber Chillers. Mine is the battery powered version, but the usb powered one is definitely the way to go. It’s definitely worth having, I use it mostly when I’m finished shooting while packing stuff up, to let my suppressor return to non nuclear temps before I put it back in my bag. I also occasionally use it if I’m shooting several groups to cut down on needing to take longer breaks and keep mirage in check.

Interesting. I know it would be good for patterning cold bore shots, and for cooing down between series of fire to keep velocities in check. Hadn't thought of mirage. Get the point about end of session cool down. Also, get the use for load testing. anything else folks use a barrel cooler for?

I have one of the Chamber Chillers. Mine is the battery powered version, but the usb powered one is definitely the way to go. It’s definitely worth having, I use it mostly when I’m finished shooting while packing stuff up, to let my suppressor return to non nuclear temps before I put it back in my bag. I also occasionally use it if I’m shooting several groups to cut down on needing to take longer breaks and keep mirage in check.
Thanks for your input. Is USB better as you can use a power pack to overcome low battery life if using AAs of similar?

I do not own a chamber chiller but used my buddies one day doing some load development and I did not notice a difference. Given this was by feel and only one time use, also I live in florida so it was a 80+ degree day. Probably help a lot more when they are pulling cold air in.

I have both. I have the Chamber chiller and I have the Barrel Cooler (yellow one). I've used both for a few years now from bolt actions to AR's with suppressors.

From what I have found, if it's cool outside it will cool down the barrel faster. However, if you're just pushing hot air because it's 85+ outside it won't do much for you. I use it more so to cool off my cans to move them to other rifles.

I have the Barrel Cooler, which is yellow and basically looks like a chamber flag. It works. Even when it's hot out, it still cools down your barrel faster than just ambient. Great for keeping your barrel from wandering due to heat and to help cut down on barrel mirage.

I have a chamber chiller, I find it works best when it’s hot! Sure it moves more slowly than when it’s comfortable outside but when it’s 100 degrees and I can’t touch the barrel the chiller really does make it cool to the touch much faster. I don’t use it when it’s cold because the barrel cools down pretty quickly as is in those conditions. But in summer when you have sweat dripping in your eyes I think you’ll appreciate the chiller.

I haven’t done any scientific testing because I always use it when I’m already shooting groups so I’m focused on other details but it’s effective enough that I have noticed it works. Only thing is mine is a piece of shit with some double sided stick between the battery box and the fan that’s separated so it’s kind of precarious now. Need to find a hot glue gun. But the magneato speed barrel kuhl looks awesome provided it’s affordable when released.

It’s not as effective as an ice water rag or the air mattress pump with some hose attached that then sucks in air from a cold ice chest that benchresters use but I also don’t have to drag nearly as much crap out, it fits in my magneato speed box so it usually comes along with me.

I've been using the chamber chiller for about 2 years and it works great. I have the original battery powered model and two of the USB newer units.

I don't actually use it during matches that much because we're moving around and doing other things. But many guys do use them especially in the summertime.

My favorite use for it is during load development and range sessions especially in the hotter months of the year. That allows me to shoot and get done what I need done without as much waiting in between. that means more time at the reloading bench or with family or whatever have you.

Many folks talked about barrel life being preserved, accuracy, etc but for me the main benefit is limiting the time I have to spend testing loads at the range. You can buy on Amazon for about 40 bucks.

Dan

Screenshot_20190124-093024.png

Last edited:
The MagnetoSpeed RifleKuhl beats everything else I have seen and used, including most of the products in this thread. It's able to push FAR more air while using a filter (and without the filter is just nuts), it's smaller, more durable, and stays in place better on a steel action due to the magnet. Hopefully they will be available for sale soon, as I'd love to pick up a retail version to go with the test model I already have.

RifleKuhl by MagnetoSpeed is getting released soon, this thing is legit. My biggest complaint with the others was the fact that dust/dirt could get picked up and pushed down the barrel. The RifleKuhl has a filter on the fan to prevent debris from entering the chamber.

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Glad to se they finally have a price point out for the RifleKuhl, and it hit exactly where I expected it would - $60. It'll sell like hotcakes at that price, I think.

when i get some time ive been playing with the idea of 2 rubber o rings with drip lines on the barrel with a small water pump and tank attached to the forearm rail.
it would be removable so if your not bench shooting or prone its not a anchor.
figure id have 1-2 outputs on the barrel through the forearm (i have a AI) that is constantly running water over the barrel.
that would be a heat sink and draw the heat from the chamber area.
would be able to keep it on and shoot.

when i get some time ive been playing with the idea of 2 rubber o rings with drip lines on the barrel with a small water pump and tank attached to the forearm rail.
figure id have 1-2 outputs on the barrel through the forearm (i have a AI) that is constantly running water over the barrel.

What is old is new again...
IMG_2174.JPG

Reactions: garandman
I have a couple of chamber chillers that go to the range and prairie dog hunts with me, and I've been very happy with the functionality of them. That said, I'm REALLY looking forward to the MagnetoSpeed product, because I have found my chamber chillers to be pretty fragile (one of them is pretty Frankensteined together with JB Weld, re-soldered wires, small steel reinforcing strips, etc...).

Additional (air) output would be a welcome change, as well.

Nice idea

Funny I read Kühl all the time inhere, trousers, vents and so on.

Kühl is the German word for cool. ;)

I will look forward to get a Magnetospeed.

THIS ^ ^ ^

*Definitely* cools the barrel / suppressor.

I shoot five rounds, then run the RK for 8 minutes, while I reload / record data / re-center my mind / do self eval on the prior 5 shots.

This is all for load testing.

Who knows if that makes an actual impact in preventing zero shift. I know it doesn't hurt.

ETA: it makes a high pitched buzz / whine, which can be mitigated a bit if you put a bit of padding / buffer between it and the rifle action on which it rests.

Last edited:
Mostly, I use coolers while short camping trips. I used to have a barrel cooler, but it wasn't comfortable for me. So, I searched for info online and decided to buy a wheeled cooler, and you know, it was the best possible decision, among others. I bought Pelican Products ProGear Elite Wheeled Cooler, and I like it more than my old barrel cooler. It has quite big wheels, and it's easy to transport from the place to place ever if it full. What is more, it keeps ice up to 10 days, so now I can camp for more days. I recommend you check this site url because there is the review of best wheeled coolers in 2020, and I hope that info there will help you to make a choice which cooler to buy

^^^^i dont think he meant for hot dogs and beer :devilish:

more of the little fans that you put in the action to blow ambient air through the barrel "cooling" it off faster

could be wrong though

So...now that this is revived, does the kuhl version discussed have adapters for various cartridges? (6x47 to 204 Ruger eg)
Anybody tried it yet?

Have been using air mattress inflator for couple years. Long before the purpose built coolers came to market. They do work when it's hot weather. Shortens time for Barrell to cool. Just drains batteries is down side.

I used a leaf blower on idle to jumpstart the coals in the Webber, but I did it in front of acquaintances and it embarrassed my wife (who likes to pretend I’m not a hillbilly). This think showed up in my stocking next Christmas. Two $2 fittings from the plumping aisle, and some surgical tubing (always keep a bunch on hand) and I has a perfect barrel cooler.

I don’t use it that much, but it works great. Probably $10 total.
519A88CE-399C-45BE-AC91-956107F4124E.jpeg

Reactions: txguero
I´m using the Rifle Kühl now for a while, what can I say, save your money for other things, like ammo or bullets etc..

It is more on the homeopathic level, didn´t measure it, but you still have to wait quite long, so...
In my opinion it has by far not enough power, although it eats batteries like nothing.
If you put it in the chamber, you hardly can feel the air flow at the muzzle.

An engineer for fluid mechanics told me, that cooling on the outside would be more effective, because you have a bigger surface.

My next barrel will be thicker for sure.

Damp dish towel laid over the barrel at the start of a string (20 rounds for score) keeps barrel cool and has no change to POA/POI on a FN SPR heavy contour.
I once did a 60 round match that was supposed to be 3 20 round strings before rotating positions. Turned into a 60 round straight barrel burning extravagance. I ended up dumping a bottle of water over the outside of my 300wm barrel half way thru to cut mirage. It worked.

My RifleKuhl (red one) broke after one day of use. I suppose I should have gotten 2 vs 1 so that it wouldn't be on for like 4 hours straight.

The chamber chiller one I find is pretty weak and does not fit all that well in some ports.

The barrel cooler (yellow) is OK, would be nice if it had that rubber bit like on the RifleKuhl for a better seal.

I got one of the bbq blowers but mine came with the fan rattling so I didn't bother trying to put it together.

I am debating getting 2 more RifleKuhls but it left a bad taste it my mouth that one died in one day.

^^^^i dont think he meant for hot dogs and beer :devilish:

more of the little fans that you put in the action to blow ambient air through the barrel "cooling" it off faster

could be wrong though

Party Pooper..........

I have asked this before and received an affirmative from other members/gunsmiths here. There is a gun writer out there that published an article years ago and he just puts water through his barrel via a hose and patches it out dry. It's supposed to be safe but I have yet to build a rig to do it. I will probably just put a fitting through a milk jug cap to a hose for my chamber and bring a full gallon of tap water. With all the other crap I haul that people have no idea of, I should just buy an enema or a douche bag so we can all have a good laugh.

An engineer for fluid mechanics told me, that cooling on the outside would be more effective, because you have a bigger surface.
The only truth in all the responses that have bought into the placebo effect. Using a cooler when shooting with a can is the only case that makes sense since there is no convection to carry away the heat from the baffles.

I have asked this before and received an affirmative from other members/gunsmiths here. There is a gun writer out there that published an article years ago and he just puts water through his barrel via a hose and patches it out dry. It's supposed to be safe but I have yet to build a rig to do it. I will probably just put a fitting through a milk jug cap to a hose for my chamber and bring a full gallon of tap water. With all the other crap I haul that people have no idea of, I should just buy an enema or a douche bag so we can all have a good laugh.

I was speaking to dave tooley or frank green a while ago and one or both said that they would run or fill water through to cool barrel then patch out.

edited: for that strange spelling and smiley face...where it came from i have no idea!

Last edited:
I was speaking to dave tooley or frank green a while ago and one or both said that they would fill:pour water through to cool barrel then patch out.

Yeah, I want to say it was probably Mr. Tooley that responded when I originally asked but I'm having a very senior day today. I have a cooler I bought from OTM and while it has more horsepower than most it's not going to solve the problem in Florida. I just rarely shoot enough without changing rifles or uppers to worry about it. It would be nice to have a setup for the summer when I like to do load development. That's why I'm looking at milk jugs, I'm not sure a .5L water bottle will be enough here.

I was speaking to dave tooley or frank green a while ago and one or both said that they would fill:pour water through to cool barrel then patch out.

I wouldnt argue with the knowledge of either of those two but my initial instinct would be that water would become heated steam in any "alligator cracking" and only exacerbate that issue.

I wonder if they have an opinion of precedence "barrel longevity" vs "barrel performance in the immediate moment".

i edit my original post... strange face and working popped up out of nowhere

i think it was frank green, i was speaking to him about 50 BMG barrels strangely enough

Shooting off the bench I use a battery powered 10" fan mostly to get rid of mirage from barrel heat. Works great for that and seems to do a good job keeping the barrel cool. Rechargeable battery that keeps going for hours.