• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Barrel counter bore tolerances rem 700

hesco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2009
What are the normal tolerances for the barrel counterbore that fits over the end of the bolt, bolt measures .700 presume most make the counterbore .710 also how much clearance is normally allowed from the end of the bolt to the bottom of the counterbore.

Are their any other manufactures that use this setup other than remington

Re: Barrel counter bore tolerances rem 700

Have been thinking this over a little, their is really no reason to do the counterbore its not going to make the system any stronger or safer, guess you could still do the counter bore with a radius and taper to help with feeding.

Typically, Remington counter bores at the breech have an ID of anywhere from .700" to .705" (+.010" over) and a depth of .150" to .155" depending on the actual bolt. The depth of the counter bore is the same as the length of the bolt nose when measured from the lug faces. .005" to .010" breech rear to lug face clearence has to be already figured in though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hesco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have been thinking this over a little, their is really no reason to do the counterbore its not going to make the system any stronger or safer, guess you could still do the counter bore with a radius and taper to help with feeding. </div></div>

by the time you screw the barrel on, the feed ramp is about the same height as the counterbore. maybe i am missing something here but i don't see a standard remington style counterbore hindering feeding at all. i guess i don't really see room for improvement.

in reality, i don't know how much, if any, safer the remington style counterbore is versus a straight breach but i'm pretty sure it isn't making it more dangerous. personally, i'll stick with it as it was designed.

as to the op, i shoot for .010"-.012" over the bolt nose diameter and .005"-.008" in front by the time the barrel is torqued. like wmroscoe said, the counterbore ends up being the same length as the bolt nose from the face of the lugs (i end up with .005"-.008" between the face of the lugs and rear of the barrel also).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hesco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have been thinking this over a little, their is really no reason to do the counterbore its not going to make the system any stronger or safer, guess you could still do the counter bore with a radius and taper to help with feeding. </div></div>

by the time you screw the barrel on, the feed ramp is about the same height as the counterbore. maybe i am missing something here but i don't see a standard remington style counterbore hindering feeding at all. i guess i don't really see room for improvement.

in reality, i don't know how much, if any, safer the remington style counterbore is versus a straight breach but i'm pretty sure it isn't making it more dangerous. personally, i'll stick with it as it was designed.

as to the op, i shoot for .010"-.012" over the bolt nose diameter and .005"-.008" in front by the time the barrel is torqued. like wmroscoe said, the counterbore ends up being the same length as the bolt nose from the face of the lugs (i end up with .005"-.008" between the face of the lugs and rear of the barrel also). </div></div>

The counterbore surrounds the cartridge head backed by a lug, so if there is massive destruction, it's somewhat contained in the barrel and not the action. Other bolt styles use a semi coned face which fit close into a chamfer which do much the same, and some leave the ass end of the case exposed.. But with a remington style bolt, I'd stick with the counterbore, it's easy, doesn't impede feeding.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The counterbore surrounds the cartridge head backed by a lug, so if there is massive destruction, it's somewhat contained in the barrel and not the action. Other bolt styles use a semi coned face which fit close into a chamfer which do much the same, and some leave the ass end of the case exposed.. But with a remington style bolt, I'd stick with the counterbore, it's easy, doesn't impede feeding. </div></div>

i do understand the idea/theory behind the "three rings of steel" and it makes sense to me. since i am not an engineer, i don't know how much, if any safer it is vs. a straight or coned breach. i am confident that it isn't hurting anything in regards to safety or feeding reliability and i will continue to use the bolt nose counterbore on a remington style action.

Thanks for the replies, looks like their is no reason not to put the counterbore in the way it way designed, but after doing some research, have discovered that some gunsmiths leave the counterbore out when rebarreling remingtons.