• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition barrel cover/ mirage band ?

Coyotejunki

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I went shooting last week, in 90+ temps and sunny. The mirage was killing me, shooting my 308 FTR. Are you guys using these to help. Where can you get or make these?

Re: barrel cover/ mirage band ?

i made one out of a piece of vertical blind. cut it to fit. stuck some sticky sided velcro to it.painted the convex side in flat black and fit it on the barrel. works just fine. just be careful when pulling it off of barrel for the first few times. the stick on side of velcro tends to want to come off as well.

This may be a silly question, but is there any particular barrel finish (bead blasted stainless, matte black cerakote, any other color cerakote)that would lessen barrel mirage w/out the use of a shield? Thanks!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Denys</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usftr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This kit comes with shield and velcro.

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=32718/Product/Sinclair-Barrel-Mirage-Shade </div></div>

That's the one I got a few years ago and it's still going strong. </div></div>

There are several vendors that include the velcro attachements as part of the kit, or as mentioned above, you can do you own with a window shade slat and velcro from Lowe's. <span style="font-style: italic">However</span>...as far as I know, only the Shotmaster comes in pink with the words, "YOU just got BEAT by a GIRL!".
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tpb10505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This may be a silly question, but is there any particular barrel finish (bead blasted stainless, matte black cerakote, any other color cerakote)that would lessen barrel mirage w/out the use of a shield? Thanks! </div></div>

It's not a silly question, but you have to think about what you are trying to do here and the consequences. If you want to reduce of eliminate barrel mirage, you have to prevent the barrel from shedding heat, which is definitely not a good idea.

In F-class, you use thick barrels because they can absorb a lot more heat energy before they become hot enough to experience distortion. Heat from the barrel is removed from the surface of the barrel and the more surface there is, the faster the cooling. One way to increase the surface is to bead blast the barrel, which I guess would make this type of finish produce more barrel mirage during shooting. If you would put some sort of coating on the barrel, that will probably reduce the heat transmission rate and that may lessen the barrel mirage, but create far more serious issues for the barrel.

Not a problem. The mirage shield is a simple effective way of curing or at least, minimizing the barrel mirage effect. I'm also thinking it is best to have this shield mirror smooth and matte white on top so as to not create any reflection for the scope and shiny white underneath to refect the heat of the barrel.

Or you can do like Snafubar and paint it in a pink polka dot pattern on a pastel mauve background.

I haven't used a mirage shield, but know it is time to get one. I have seen the blinds work well. But my question is does velcro on the barrel interfere with the barrel harmonics?

No. I have shot with and without and I detect no difference. The thing is very light and it is not stiff.

I PM'd jb1000br and got on of these for $5.
- Works great. I didn't believe that the difference would be that significant.

GEAR SPOTLIGHT--Ultra-Lightweight "Miracle" Mirage Band: Our very own 1000-yard Editor, Jason Baney, has invented a very slick new mirage band. Make of space-age heat-resistant materials, the 2"-wide mirage band weighs less than half an ounce (including Velcro mounts) and rolls up to fit inside a small pill case. The "Baney Band" is mylar on the bottom (reflective where you need it), laminated to nylon on the top (non-reflective to avoid added mirage from the sun). All orders are shipped in a pop-top pill bottle for easy, compact storage

I shoot 1000 yards with a barrel band on my Model 70 300 WM. Its a life saver with a scope, even shooting irons I can tell the difference.

I've tried a number of approaches to resolving the barrel heat mirage issue.

I've settled for a simple strip of satiny black craft ribbon fixed to the top of the barrel with three spaced pieces of self adhesive velcro dots. I extend the ribbon some ways back beyond the objective, and stop just short of the muzzle, to avoid muzzle blast.

It rolls up into a pill bottle between shooting sessions, and I currently have identically spaced Velcro dots on three rifles that allow the same mirage band to be interchanged.

Another approach is a mirage tube. I roll and tape black construction paper into a tube that's a little larger in diameter than the scope objective bell, and reaches from just behind the forward end of the scope to just short of the muzzle, same reason as above. It can even be affixed with the very same velcro dots as the band. I like the diameter to be bigger than the objective so a little bit of ventilation can pass through it.

The tube can be a little klugey, and can look a bit hokey; but who honestly gives a dang about that? It works, maybe even a little better than the band, but it's also bulky and can be difficult to store and transport intact.

When the wind blows enough to make the band or tube insecure, the barrel mirage issue goes away mostly anyway. By that point, barrel mirage is no longer my main issue.

The two devices are relatively flexible, and if they introduce a disadvantage due to altered harmonics, I can't see it.

Greg

I bought a 3' piece of 6" aluminum roof flashing at the hardware store for less than a buck. I cut it down the middle with a pair of scissors and rounded off the ends. 2-3 velcro dots will hold it down and you will have 2 for less than $2. (I gave the other to a shooting buddy.) I like these better than the thicker aluminum ones you see for sale because I can roll it up and put it in one of the tubes that come with 3" stick on targets.

I PM'd jb1000br and got on of these for $5.
- Works great. I didn't believe that the difference would be that significant.

GEAR SPOTLIGHT--Ultra-Lightweight "Miracle" Mirage Band: Our very own 1000-yard Editor, Jason Baney, has invented a very slick new mirage band. Make of space-age heat-resistant materials, the 2"-wide mirage band weighs less than half an ounce (including Velcro mounts) and rolls up to fit inside a small pill case. The "Baney Band" is mylar on the bottom (reflective where you need it), laminated to nylon on the top (non-reflective to avoid added mirage from the sun). All orders are shipped in a pop-top pill bottle for easy, compact storage

Does anyone know if the Baney Band is still available? I have sent an email to JB, and have not gotten a response?

If these are not available, does anyone know of a similar product?

I am looking for a soft mirage band that you can roll up, versus the hard aluminum slat type. I have tried the hard aluminum ones, but they keep getting bent during storage/transport.

All else fails, I am probably going to end up going with some type of webbing/elastic attached with Velcro.

Thanks!