• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Crown Cleaning Issue

Usopp

Private
Minuteman
Mar 2, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Greetings everyone. I'm new to long range shooting and the Sniper's Hide Forum. I recently invested in a Tikka TAC A1 that is chambered in .260 Remington, and I'm loving it. After shooting 400 rounds through the barrel in about a month, I decided to clean it. Soon after I took my PVA Jet4 muzzle brake off, I noticed the carbon build-up. Well, after soaking a handful of 3 inch patches with Bore Tech C4 and leaving it on the muzzle for about 30 minutes, I proceeded to wipe off the carbon. As you can see by the image, the black nitride came off the crown. Given that I'm a newbie, I'm not sure if I actually "damaged' the crown. Can someone please let me know if I did so? Thank you in advance for providing insight to this issue.

Attachments

• 20211030_105933.jpg
    20211030_105933.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 299
Agreed with what’s said above. I have no experience with the Tac A1 but I doubt they’d blue the barrel and C4 wouldn’t remove nitride. Honestly looks like Carbon to me still

Thank you for all your responses. It is my understanding that the TAC A1 barrels undergo the black nitride surface treatment (as Trigger Monkey stated). I have used the Bore Tech C4 Carbon cleaner several times before and I've never experienced this issue. I do plan on developing loads, and I hope the issue with the finish coming off does not affect point of impact. Even though I'm a newbie, any constructive advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.

Thank you for all your responses. It is my understanding that the TAC A1 barrels undergo the black nitride surface treatment (as Trigger Monkey stated). I have used the Bore Tech C4 Carbon cleaner several times before and I've never experienced this issue. I do plan on developing loads, and I hope the issue with the finish coming off does not affect point of impact. Even though I'm a newbie, any constructive advice would greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone.
You're fine, dont give it a second thought.