• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel cut down and coated in DFW

Briggs

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
Mansfield, TX
I would like to cut down the barrel on my 5R and most likely have it coated (that stainless finish is starting to get to me!). I haven't had a need to have any work done by a smith since I've been in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Anyone know a good one in the area?

Re: Barrel cut down and coated in DFW

Not Sure how far you are willing to drive from Mansfield but I use Gene Williams in Princeton. Im in Plano and he is about 30 minutes from me. That would be about 1.5 hr drive from you. Its worth the drive. He does the work at his house so he is there on weekends to drop off items. Ive been there on Sundays a couple of times. He will talk your ear off but he does good work and he gets it done in a timely manner. I dont think he does gun finishing such as duracoat or cerakoat but you can find that around DFW as well. I do Duracoating myself but try not to do it for money because I travel for work and cant be reliable about getting your stuff done in a reasonable time. If you want to call Gene his number is 214-673-5510.

I don't mind the drive if I know the work is endorsed. I am afraid to just drop it off anywhere and get bad results. Besides, I found a guy in Mckinney that has gunsteel and it will give me an excuse to pick up another piece or two. Thank You!

Unfortunately thats not me but its good to see that the shooting fu runs strong in my clan.

Bring your gun to S&S in Argyle Sticks place and we use a coater in Justin just down the road. And Gene is a good guy to he flutes the barrels at Sticks. S&S # is 940 566 7001 Mon-Sat. Let me know if you need more info.

Does Gene Williams make and install brakes? I had my barrel threaded and want a brake timed and turned down to the barrel diameter (where you cannot tell it is removable).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Insayn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does Gene Williams make and install brakes? I had my barrel threaded and want a brake timed and turned down to the barrel diameter (where you cannot tell it is removable). </div></div>
Yes Gene has the lathe at the house. He has put 2 brakes on for me. He mills his own brakes if you want him to make you one. He uses SS from barrel blanks turn his brakes. Usually a fast turn around. Better get in there before he starts going to the deer lease though or your wait might be longer.