• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel cutting ?

sims5

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2010
Central Ohio
I have a Savage 22-250 with a blued 26" barrel. I would like to shorten the barrel to 20" or 22". Would this hurt the performance much? How should I refinish the end once it has been chopped?

thanks

Re: barrel cutting ?

Any good smith can handle that feat. You might lose a little
bit of velocity but cutting the barrel down and having it re
crowned should not be a problem.

I wouldn't worry about performance. You'll lose a little FPS but it won't be a game changer. Handloads might need a little tweaking.

I have a 26" SPS Varmint that I'll be chopping to at least 20, possibly to 18.5" and threaded. Most folks that have chopped this barrel from 26 to 20" only lost 70 FPS. I'm chopping this short for convenience and for the additional length of a suppressor. I don't want to have 35" of tube out in front of me with the suppressor.

I just had ADCO cut and thread two of my barrels and the turn around was less than 7 days. For 65 bucks for a cut, thread and recrown its a great deal imo.