• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Decisions

dan25

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2012
I still can't make up my mind for my custom 300 win mag. I am tossing around a #4 contour that weighs 3 lbs 14oz, #5 fluted that weighs the same as the #4, and a straight #5 that weighs 4 lbs 8oz. This is going to be a hunting rifle, but I want to be able to accurately shoot 800-1000 yards. Some guys say they like fluted and some don't. I am getting my barrel in 26", with a 1/10 twist. My gun builder is telling me to go with the #4. I measured my stock remington bdl and Tikka barrels that I have at home, and the barrel on the #4 is about the same as those. I thought it might be nicer to have a little bit bigger pipe. I am leaning towards the #5 barrel for heat and cooling. Any thoughts?

Re: Barrel Decisions

Honestly it's going to be a toss up. I have found that the rifles balance is also important in how it feels shooting offhand. If you have a really light stock it seems to feel more natural to have a light barrel so the rifle isn't muzzle heavy or butt heavy. But my gut says go with a fluted number 5 if those are the options your going to stick with. If it was a practical competition rifle I would say make that thing weigh more to soften the recoil of the 100 rounds per day you shoot. But I have yet to fire more than 7 rounds on an entire hunting trip *Almost always shot offhand also, so a lighter rifle is nice for longer awkward holds*

I appreciate your opinion. Thanks

Depending on barrel maker, #5 is close to a Remington Sendero contour and will weigh about the same finished, about 12 lbs +/. I have a Hart Long Range Hunter in 7mmRm with a Kreiger #5 fluted and she weighs about 10 3/4 lbs all up. Both are 1K capable, but I don't get more than about 1/2 mile from the truck with the Sendero - too heavy.

I would put a #5 on the mag's and a #4 on on the non mag's. I put a #5 on my 300 whtby and a #4 own my 270. Just getting ready to re-barrel my 30-378 and will probably use a #5 or bigger.
Just my $.02 worth,
Good luck

I have to agree with PAD.I would either go with a 5 for mag or a 5 fluted in you intend on doing a walk about. The 4 to me is a little light for mag but I use them all the time for standard calibers.

Jered at APA just did my 7mm mag. Broughton 5.75 contour finished at 25". with scope and Mcmillan A5 weighs 13 lbs. Just enough weight but not too heavy.

Sounds good. I think I will go with the #5 fluted. Is a fluted barrel as good as a un-fluted?

Absolutely. Some people prefer a fluted to unfluted. But there are some people who don't like them. Personally I think its a great compromise for you

Yeah the fluted will do just fine. In theory a 5 fluted will be stronger than a plain #4 wieghing in at about the same. It will also disapate heat faster because of the increased surface area. Other than cost, except a little longer lead time on fluted.