• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel depreciation vs round count

akh223

Private
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2009
South Carolina
Something I have been thinking about as I peruse the market and see used barrels.....

How do you think barrels depreciate in regards to round count? Should a barrel loose value with each round down the tube? At what point do you consider it worthless in regards to percentage of expected round count?

I know they are consumables, but in my mind the depreciation cant be linear.

I guess there could be an argument that buying a barrel with 100 or 200 rounds on it is actually saving you money as you don't have to pay for the ammo or components to fire those rounds to get it "broken in" and at a point where load development can be done? On the other hand, how much barrel life do you want left to do load development and testing and still have some rounds left in the tube when that is finished?

Just wondering how others see the value of used barrels?

What about knowing what dumbass “break in procedure” the previous guy used? Who chambered it? Is there any way to know Where it came from other than what the seller says? Load development and learning starts with the very first round down the hole and has never taken me anywhere near the internet standard “200 rounds”. So, I, as a rule, don’t buy used barrels unless they are some kind of value added proposition in a larger sale. And usually I then sell them as soon as I take possession. For me, the value of a barrel, used by a stranger, started dropping when it got chambered, really hits a low when said stranger shoots it, and never really recovers. What might well have been a $800 combination of blank and chamber/crown/thread job from the hottest barrel maker and shop on the planet, is worth no more than perhaps $300 to me once it’s been mounted and shot by random internet guy….maybe more like $500 from a friend under any normal circumstance.

Unless it's someone you absolutely trust, IMO, the minute you try to sell a barrel you forego the amount you paid for the chamber/threading.

I'm willing to pay about what a barrel blank costs for a barrel where I have to trust the person selling the barrel is correct on round count, usage, condition....etc.

There's just too many documented instances of what someone claims the condition of a barrel is, isn't the actual condition. And honestly, it's mostly not malicious. Almost no one actually documents rounds and data as much as they think or claim they do. And almost no one cleans properly. Be it the amount or type of cleaning.

So, personally, I don't care if it's one round or 200 rounds. Unless the barrel is being sold as test fired only, it's used and I'm not giving more than the blank costs. Again, unless you are a very trusted source.

I’ve bought and sold many used barrels. Never had a problem either way.

Used barrels from known gunsmiths is more desirable than those chambered by some guy somewhere although that some guy somewhere may have done a heck of a job. Doesn’t really matter though.

Until about 5 years ago everything I had was used. Learned alot and had a great time. It's less painful to learn the hard way if your initial expense is low. I always learn the hard way, MOA Leopolds/Vortex, Savage, buying 4x fired brass ect.

If it's still very low rounds for the caliber I have and will do it, but only if it's a legit smith who did the barrel that I know so I can know what that chamber is going to be like. Also has to be a pretty trusted source. Basically, someone on here with very good and long term feedback I will do it, but I won't pay some price that's a hundred or 2 off what it cost. If I'm only saving a few hundred bucks then why risk it at all? If it's a half price thing on a good barrel with a good smith ect, AND very low rounds, it's worth thr risk to me and has worked out well for me.

• Haha
Reactions: Haney and Red343
Too me, Barrels are consumable items. Not sure I would ever buy a used barrel.
Lot's of variables in that. I have bought a few that had very low round counts on them and they all have been hammers. My latest 300WM AXMC barrel was a factory Bartlien AI barrel that had 20 rounds on it and it's probably one of the better shooting barrels I have a load for. I paid around 600ish for the barrel. Surely beat paying almost a grand for a new one from MH or EO.

A whole lot depends on who’s doing the selling and what they are selling. A used rifle from a reputable dealer with an onsite gunsmith, might be a fine deal. I made a purchase or two like that myself and never been dissatisfied. In some cases, much better than purchasing new. Used handguns, especially revolvers are hard to hurt unless used by a ham handed reloader.

Otherwise, if someone is selling something that is almost brand new, the Question that needs to be asked is

WHY!

Often there is a legitimate reason, but sometimes, it is because the darn thing will not shoot. And, therefore, why would you want it.

Reactions: oldrifleman
I depreciate them per round in my mind, with the added "startup" depreciation of load development. So if it's a low round count, reputable build, reasonably reputable seller, and an attractive price (30% off or more of the life-depreciated cost of the new equivalent), then I figure even if it's a lemon I can move it for roughly what I paid.

That said, only done it once so far because you can't really make it work on my action without shenanigans, and those cost money which eat into the value proposition. If I had an action with a robust prefit market, I'd be open to a sweetheart deal coming along again.

then I figure even if it's a lemon I can move it for roughly what I paid
The problem I have with this is selling a known lemon. In your example, reputable builder, seller, and good price, it turns out to not shoot and then you go out looking to recoup your costs….so passing along the crap? So are you going to conveniently leave off the part where it’s a “reputable build, seller, good price, AND known lemon”. Otherwise, how will you expect to get your money out?

I feel like the risk of ending up with a “lemon” and having no way to sell it without mis-representing it or having to essentially give it away just to see it gone, is higher than I want from a barrel. I’m not calling you out specifically, just explaining why I’m so cautious about used barrels.

I bought a barreled action (6CM, Impact, 600 rounds advertised on both) once because I wanted the action. The price for both was in the acceptable range for a new action, which at the time, was unobtainable without a lengthy wait. I figured any money I could get out of the barrel was lagniappe, as they say. I sold it, without ever shooting it, for, I think, $200.

If I had shot it and it bugholed, could I have gotten $400? I doubt it.
If I shot it and it sucked, could I have gotten anything? I know I could not have asked for $200…I probably would have asked for $50 to cover the shipping.
I hope it shot great for the buyer. If it didn’t, I hope he didn’t try to pass it off as a good barrel for $200.

That constellation of risks makes the used barrel thing too uncomfortable for me. And so for those reasons, I’m out.

Reactions: R_A_W
The problem I have with this is selling a known lemon. In your example, reputable builder, seller, and good price, it turns out to not shoot and then you go out looking to recoup your costs….so passing along the crap? So are you going to conveniently leave off the part where it’s a “reputable build, seller, good price, AND known lemon”. Otherwise, how will you expect to get your money out?

I feel like the risk of ending up with a “lemon” and having no way to sell it without mis-representing it or having to essentially give it away just to see it gone, is higher than I want from a barrel. I’m not calling you out specifically, just explaining why I’m so cautious about used barrels.

I bought a barreled action (6CM, Impact, 600 rounds advertised on both) once because I wanted the action. The price for both was in the acceptable range for a new action, which at the time, was unobtainable without a lengthy wait. I figured any money I could get out of the barrel was lagniappe, as they say. I sold it, without ever shooting it, for, I think, $200.

If I shot it and it sucked, could I have gotten anything? I know I could not have asked for $200…I probably would have asked for $50 to cover the shipping.
I hope it shot great for the buyer. If it didn’t, I hope he didn’t try to pass it off as a good barrel for $200.

That constellation of risks makes the used barrel thing too uncomfortable for me. And so for those reasons, I’m out.

This is why I only pay about what the blank is worth. If it's a turd, I'm either rechambering or tossing it in the corner and not selling it.

I take your point, and I think it's generally fair. But another way of looking at the scenario you described:

You said you couldn't have asked for $200 if you knew it sucked, I assume because your integrity wouldn't allow you to pass on a lemon. But you sold it for $200, with the real possibility that it was a lemon (because you didn't check), passing that risk on to the next person. But you did so by saying the truth of the situation: "This is a barrel, this is the history of it to my knowledge, and because I haven't confirmed it shoots great I'll let it go at a discount."

Your concerns, along with those of good Mr. @WeiserBucks, seem to be that I would lie about or otherwise obfuscate the situation of the barrel as I understood it when I sold it, and in so doing take advantage of the next owner. That's an understandable concern, but perhaps a step too far to assume I'd do that. Others have integrity too.

All of that said, a barrel-burner cartridge such as a 6CM (relative to other popular PRS-esque cartridges, which is my main discipline) would be a much higher risk in my mind, because load dev consumes a larger percentage of the life, and 600 rounds already would probably push it into the "Nope, not worth it" territory for me. But the deal you describe sounds solid due to the action value, so you went through basically the same decision process I would in the situation.

Reactions: Bcamos