• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Explosion

wvlawyer02

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2008
Clarksburg, West Virginia, USA
Anyone comment on what would cause a handgun barrel to explode and fracture/mushroom lengthwise along the chamber? Shell case was lost in the event so I cannot examine it. No obstructions in the barrel could be viewed after explosion. It is an obvious double charged round to me but wanted some backup or other opinions if there are any.

Ammo was .38 special FMJ from the factory.

Re: Barrel Explosion

You're absolutely right, and I couldn't agree with you more. Would you like a signed (D)affy-David to that effect?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvtrainer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone comment on what would cause a handgun barrel to explode and fracture/mushroom lengthwise along the chamber? Shell case was lost in the event so I cannot examine it. No obstructions in the barrel could be viewed after explosion. It is an obvious double charged round to me but wanted some backup or other opinions if there are any.

Ammo was .38 special FMJ from the factory. </div></div>

Anyone hurt?

Yes, the owner has a hand injury.

Thanx for the input. Just wanted some comments from shooters and smiths on the hide whether I was barking up the wrong tree on this.

Over pressure load or a "squib"(bullet stuck in bore) and a round fired into the blockage.
Need more details........
Gun maker?
Mods. done to gun.
How many rounds were fired before the issue in that shooting session?
Respectfully,
LG

Its a derringer, so no cylinder just a chamber like a Thompson Contender. Entire chamber and barrel are covered with a lightweight alloy. I do not want to name the company at this time of either the ammo or gun until investigation is complete. Thanx

I ruled out a squib because the failure on the gun is right across the chamber area with the most blow out right where the middle of the rounds' case would be. The squib failures I've examined have blown the barrels from the mid section to the end of the barrel. Has anyone seen a squib blow out the barrel along the chamber and ammo case?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvtrainer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I ruled out a squib because the failure on the gun is right across the chamber area with the most blow out right where the middle of the rounds' case would be. The squib failures I've examined have blown the barrels from the mid section to the end of the barrel. Has anyone seen a squib blow out the barrel along the chamber and ammo case? </div></div>
YES 2 of them.
LG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wvtrainer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a derringer, so no cylinder just a chamber like a Thompson Contender. Entire chamber and barrel are covered with a lightweight alloy. I do not want to name the company at this time of either the ammo or gun until investigation is complete. Thanx</div></div>
Since we are being obtuse I will say either to much pressure and or metal failure. How's that?