• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Extension - Issue or not?

Billiam1211

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2018
IL
I have a large frame AR in 308 with a 20in Bartlein barrel that I had custom made. At this point, I have just over 850 rounds down the barrel and it shoots pretty darn good when my fundamentals are on point. Saturday I ran it in a match that went out to just over 700 yards, and it ran like a top. When I was cleaning the rifle yesterday, I took a look in the chamber and noticed the extension wasn't perfectly lined up. This makes sense because the barrel came with a headspaced Toolcraft bolt, but at 1 point I tried a JP Enhanced bolt and a RCA HP bolt and neither would chamber. I'm assuming the gunsmith tested the bolt that it came with, everything checked out so off it went.

Could there be any potential issues from this down the road or should I just keep shooting it and just change the bolt with the next barrel?

Attachments

• 2020-12-07_00-55-41_113.jpeg
    2020-12-07_00-55-41_113.jpeg
    329.1 KB · Views: 546
  • 2020-09-20_19-09-37_880.png
    2020-09-20_19-09-37_880.png
    4 MB · Views: 285
  • 2020-11-28_20-00-20_419.jpg
    2020-11-28_20-00-20_419.jpg
    487.7 KB · Views: 252
Your extension is clocked roughly 3-5˚ RH from correct alignment, but the rifle runs and shoots well with the current bolt.

Since there isn’t a Technical Data Package outside of the SR-25/M110 series for those rifles, and maybe ArmaLite’s internal TDP, bolts matching to extensions coming from totally different shops is always a concern.

They get it wrong on 5.56 guns as a rule, but most rifles still work with the tolerance stacks.

We have been seeing more and more lug shear and lug impact on large frames though.

As you already know, other bolts have not functioned in your particular rifle.

You can:

A. Leave it alone as it works and shoots well.

B. Remove the barrel and re-install it with the extension teeth oriented correctly, testing that the current bolt will go into battery still without binding or clipping (it should).

A way to do this would be to re-bed the barrel and allow the barrel to set-up before torquing on the barrel nut, using a joint sealant from either Permatex or Loc-tite.

I suspect your current barrel has been bedded or press-fit into the upper if you’re getting those kinds of groups regularly.

Talk it over with the smith, as it is a fairly straightforward process should you decide to remove and re-install.

B. Remove the barrel and re-install it with the extension teeth oriented correctly, testing that the current bolt will go into battery still without binding or clipping (it should).

A way to do this would be to re-bed the barrel and allow the barrel to set-up before torquing on the barrel nut, using a joint sealant from either Permatex or Loc-tite.

I suspect your current barrel has been bedded or press-fit into the upper if you’re getting those kinds of groups regularly.

Thanks for the in-depth response on this! I actually haven't bedded the barrel. I have Permatex, but chickened out when I was putting everything together. I remember putting the extension the upper and it would line up, but as soon as torque was applied it should shift over a few degrees, so you're likely dead on.

Is there anywhere that goes over bedding with Permatex? I'm assuming you just coat the barrel extension, place it in the upper, and let it cure. Not sure if the barrel nut should be torqued on while it cures or afterwards.

Thanks for the in-depth response on this! I actually haven't bedded the barrel. I have Permatex, but chickened out when I was putting everything together. I remember putting the extension the upper and it would line up, but as soon as torque was applied it should shift over a few degrees, so you're likely dead on.

Is there anywhere that goes over bedding with Permatex? I'm assuming you just coat the barrel extension, place it in the upper, and let it cure. Not sure if the barrel nut should be torqued on while it cures or afterwards.
Bedding barrels was something the US Army AMU started doing on their match AR-15s to tighten them up.

Pretty much every precision shop does some form of bedding or tight-fitting of the extension to the upper, whether it be:

Thermo-fit
Press fit
Sealant and shims
Sealant alone

There are some sealants meant for threads and others meant for joints, although I haven’t really seen a difference. Some swear by Loc-tite 648 which is meant for joining cylinders with high heat tolerance. I’ve used Blue 242 with measurable results showing groups dropping from 1.7 MOA down into the .6s, .5s, .4s, and even .3s for 5rd groups. This has all been with top-tier barrels, not rack-grade pipes, across multiple rifles-both AR-15s and AR-10s.

Some companies have even applied some type of red sealant, either Loc-tite or Permatex (used to be the same company).

648 is purpose-built for this application though.

You can also use steel shim foil if there is enough of a gap, combined with Loc-tite.

If you did the assembly, I would consider clocking the barrel extension correctly and ensuring you have positive lock-up and unlocking with no clipping of the lugs through the extension teeth.

I also like to de-edge, blend, and polish my feed ramps on AR-15s and AR-10s, so that the brass is babied, and that meplats from hollow points don’t get hung up on the transition in a worst-case scenario of the cyclic rate competing with the magazine spring.

When you seat the barrel with the appropriate bedding approach for your upper and extension, make sure it’s clocked Top Dead Center (TDC) by visually inspecting like you did for the photo. Let the barrel cure into the upper for at least 24hr.

Make sure to grease your upper threads, then torque on the barrel nut. There are different approaches to torque value with the AR-10 and harmonics in general.

One of the AMU armorers did a lot of experimenting with barrel nut torque value and found that with heavier barrels in the AR-15, they required less torque for maximum accuracy, whereas lighter barrels required more torque.

With the AR-10 and larger calibers in the AR-15, we have seen a lean towards higher torque values being preferred.

I’m not aware of a fleet/larger sample size study being done on AR-10 barrel nut torque and its relationship to accuracy, so from personal experience, I will just say that I torque until it “feels right”, not based on a specific value but a more intuitive feeling for the resonant harmonics. Sometimes you can just tell when something feels stressed, versus a happy place. I’ve seen an arbitrary value of at least 60ft-lbs for AR-10s off the top of my head, but I don’t really care about arbitrary values when it comes to seeking accuracy.

Sounds like pseudo-science, but resonant harmonics is a very real thing and is the underlying principle in physics for rifle accuracy. If you have harmonic choke points or loose points that aren’t resolved, they will try to resolve with each shot.

This also applies to the muzzle device and scope ring fastener torque values. Anything with tension on it that can vibrate like a tuning fork in the rifle/mount/optic system contributes to the overall resonant harmonics. The more we can deaden any of the tension points, the better. What we’re doing in effect is making the barrel and upper receiver behave like one piece, vs the barrel rattling around in the upper.

Another thing to look at is if the barrel extension alignment pin is not TDC relative to the clock position of the teeth.

Sometimes they are installed at an angle and need to be fixed.

Also, make sure that the gas block and gas tube get properly aligned without clipping during reassembly.

After I place the gas block and tube over the journal with correct location for port alignment, I place the upper upside-down on the bench and place the stripped carrier inside the raceway. I want the gas tube to align as perfectly with the carrier key as possible so there is no binding or clipping against the gas tube flange.

The upper should be upside-down when doing this because it simulates magazine lift of the cartridge stack against the bottom of the carrier, which fully engages the top rails into the raceway.

Another thing to look at is if the barrel extension alignment pin is not TDC relative to the clock position of the teeth.

Sometimes they are installed at an angle and need to be fixed.

Also, make sure that the gas block and gas tube get properly aligned without clipping during reassembly.

After I place the gas block and tube over the journal with correct location for port alignment, I place the upper upside-down on the bench and place the stripped carrier inside the raceway. I want the gas tube to align as perfectly with the carrier key as possible so there is no binding or clipping against the gas tube flange.

The upper should be upside-down when doing this because it simulates magazine lift of the cartridge stack against the bottom of the carrier, which fully engages the top rails into the raceway.

I picked up some Loctite 648 today. I'm going to order some replacement handguard screws and a new barrel nut and give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the walkthrough on that, seems pretty straight forward.

I picked up some Loctite 648 today. I'm going to order some replacement handguard screws and a new barrel nut and give it a shot this weekend. Thanks for the walkthrough on that, seems pretty straight forward.
You might want to order a spare shim pack as well

Bedding barrels was something the US Army AMU started doing on their match AR-15s to tighten them up.

Pretty much every precision shop does some form of bedding or tight-fitting of the extension to the upper, whether it be:

Thermo-fit
Press fit
Sealant and shims
Sealant alone

There are some sealants meant for threads and others meant for joints, although I haven’t really seen a difference. Some swear by Loc-tite 648 which is meant for joining cylinders with high heat tolerance. I’ve used Blue 242 with measurable results showing groups dropping from 1.7 MOA down into the .6s, .5s, .4s, and even .3s for 5rd groups. This has all been with top-tier barrels, not rack-grade pipes, across multiple rifles-both AR-15s and AR-10s.

Some companies have even applied some type of red sealant, either Loc-tite or Permatex (used to be the same company).

You can also use steel shim foil if there is enough of a gap, combined with Loc-tite.

If you did the assembly, I would consider clocking the barrel extension correctly and ensuring you have positive lock-up and unlocking with no clipping of the lugs through the extension teeth.

I also like to de-edge, blend, and polish my feed ramps on AR-15s and AR-10s, so that the brass is babied, and that meplats from hollow points don’t get hung up on the transition in a worst-case scenario of the cyclic rate competing with the magazine spring.

When you seat the barrel with the appropriate bedding approach for your upper and extension, make sure it’s clocked Top Dead Center (TDC) by visually inspecting like you did for the photo. Let the barrel cure into the upper for at least 24hr.

Make sure to grease your upper threads, then torque on the barrel nut. There are different approaches to torque value with the AR-10 and harmonics in general.

One of the AMU armorers did a lot of experimenting with barrel nut torque value and found that with heavier barrels in the AR-15, they required less torque for maximum accuracy, whereas lighter barrels required more torque.

With the AR-10 and larger calibers in the AR-15, we have seen a lean towards higher torque values being preferred.

I’m not aware of a fleet/larger sample size study being done on AR-10 barrel nut torque and its relationship to accuracy, so from personal experience, I will just say that I torque until it “feels right”, not based on a specific value but a more intuitive feeling for the resonant harmonics. Sometimes you can just tell when something feels stressed, versus a happy place. I’ve seen an arbitrary value of at least 60ft-lbs for AR-10s off the top of my head, but I don’t really care about arbitrary values when it comes to seeking accuracy.

Sounds like pseudo-science, but resonant harmonics is a very real thing and is the underlying principle in physics for rifle accuracy. If you have harmonic choke points or loose points that aren’t resolved, they will try to resolve with each shot.

This also applies to the muzzle device and scope ring fastener torque values. Anything with tension on it that can vibrate like a tuning fork in the rifle/mount/optic system contributes to the overall resonant harmonics. The more we can deaden any of the tension points, the better. What we’re doing in effect is making the barrel and upper receiver behave like one piece, vs the barrel rattling around in the upper.
That was very informative. Thank you for taking the time to share your info.

Clocking of the barrel extension in the receiver shouldn't have any effect on what bolts will lock up and headspace correctly; that relationship is determined purely between the barrel and the extension. Even after removing the barrel from the receiver, the same bolts will either lock up or not. Only exception is if it's clocked far enough that the bolt doesn't want to pass the lug cutouts, but it'd be weird for it to do that with one bolt and not another, unless it's just barely right on the edge of working with the one that does shoot.

Most likely you've either got a sheared/broken or missing barrel extension pin, or a sloppy alignment groove in the receiver. It'll probably be evident which it is when you pull the barrel nut. Regardless, I'd want to fix it if you can. All of the above are fixable by someone with the right tools, but if someone installed a hardened extension pin and it broke, it can be a pain to remove.

I'd be interested in hearing what the cause is.

Thermo-fit
Press fit
Sealant and shims
Sealant alone

1 question on this: So I took everything apart and was planning on bedding the barrel tonight. The wiggle room that is causing the chamber to misalign is from the indexing pin into the upper. The extension actually fits snug into the upper, however when torque is applied it causes the barrel to twist ever so slightly because the indexing pin has a little play in the cut out.

Is there a specific approach for this or should I just bed it as you described above?

1 question on this: So I took everything apart and was planning on bedding the barrel tonight. The wiggle room that is causing the chamber to misalign is from the indexing pin into the upper. The extension actually fits snug into the upper, however when torque is applied it causes the barrel to twist ever so slightly because the indexing pin has a little play in the cut out.

Is there a specific approach for this or should I just bed it as you described above?
I went over how to address that.

Bed the barrel extension into the upper and let the bedding solidify over at least 24hr before applying any torque.

Make sure to degrease the inside of the upper with acetone, as well as the extension itself.

Orient the upper and barrel in the vertical position so there is no bias away from the center of bore with gravity, for the drying period.

That’s one way to handle it.

I went over how to address that.

Bed the barrel extension into the upper and let the bedding solidify over at least 24hr before applying any torque.

Make sure to degrease the inside of the upper with acetone, as well as the extension itself.

Orient the upper and barrel in the vertical position so there is no bias away from the center of bore with gravity, for the drying period.

That’s one way to handle it.

Got it, thanks again! Just wanted to double check before I jump in and do it.

You could shim the gap that is causing/allowing the misalignment.
Looking at the picture of the extension the rotation is in the "wrong" direction :)
Never mind, my 3d was turned off.

Did you use a reaction rod?

Last edited:
You could shim the gap that is causing/allowing the misalignment.

I just went ahead and followed LRRPF52s instructions. It’s currently curing with the extension aligned to center. When I torque it down tomorrow we’ll see if it stays in place as expected

You could use a reaction rod to keep the barrel from turning as you tighten the barrel nut so the m4 style feed ramps in the receiver stay lined up with the barrel extension.

Reactions: Billiam1211
You could use a reaction rod to keep the barrel from turning as you tighten the barrel nut so the m4 style feed ramps in the receiver stay lined up with the barrel extension.

Yep, that’s what I use!

I just went ahead and followed LRRPF52s instructions. It’s currently curing with the extension aligned to center. When I torque it down tomorrow we’ll see if it stays in place as expected

I do this but also cut a tiny shim to install between the pin and sloppy side of the receiver alignment slot. As I think I mentioned in my first comment above, an oversized or slightly off-center slot is fairly common, but not usually as extreme as yours which made me wonder if the pin isn't partly sheared to one side.

Glad you got it figured out, and thanks for following up to tell us what the problem was.

Here’s the results after Barrel extension looks to be clocked dead center and it’s tight in the upper. No movement whatsoever. Bolt drops right in, I’m going to test it with another bolt soon and see what happens

Attachments

• 212263B5-33A2-4A98-AFA4-77CB78522C69.jpeg
    212263B5-33A2-4A98-AFA4-77CB78522C69.jpeg
    253.3 KB · Views: 130
Here are the results after doing load testing with the bedded barrel and giving Shooters World Precision a shot as an alternative to Varget with the 178 ELDs.

Both are the same load, 42.3gr Precision with the 178 ELDs, Lake City brass, and 210ms at 2.805”. If I hadn’t broken my position on that second group, it likely would’ve been in the .0s. Velocity is slow with Precision at 2,520 fps but there’s a noticeable improvement in overall accuracy. I’m going to call it good and just shoot now🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• BC0A1CD9-C435-4FE9-A2C0-41416F8A8AA5.png
    BC0A1CD9-C435-4FE9-A2C0-41416F8A8AA5.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 81
  • 49149EA9-0E9F-431C-93BE-A9E74EDED252.png
    49149EA9-0E9F-431C-93BE-A9E74EDED252.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 61