• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

barrel extension removal

Ot difficult if you have the correct tools. The real question is why remove it?

It can't be that complicated. A good barrel vise, extension tool from Brownells, and a breaker bar should do it. Might need to apply some heat if they used red thread locker.

Ot difficult if you have the correct tools. The real question is why remove it?
turns out my DPMS has the barrel nut trapped in between the barrel extension and the heavy part of the barrel. I wanted to replace the barrel and use the same nut and handguard. The only way to get the nut out is removing the extension.

turns out my DPMS has the barrel nut trapped in between the barrel extension and the heavy part of the barrel. I wanted to replace the barrel and use the same nut and handguard. The only way to get the nut out is removing the extension.

Is it still assembled? If so that may be an issue. Can you post a picture?

A76D6B4B-D94B-4A7D-B1F3-AB42C3A44B51.png

66054CAC-0CD6-4D70-8C38-CDCF7F13915A.png

Attachments

• 584E9A55-2316-47FB-9214-B2158DA29ADB.png
    584E9A55-2316-47FB-9214-B2158DA29ADB.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 29
I am interested to know this as well. I have a barrel swap in mind and the company will not tell directly if their barrel extensions are different. Only that your new barrel may or may not fit the upper receiver.

Sorry hope I didn’t jack your thread.

I think I'm more confused after looking at your pictures. What are you showing by the muzzle? If you're replacing the barrel and want to use the same handguard, I'd just cut the barrel off.

It does not make sense that the barrel nut would be trapped between the barrel and the barrel extension. The barrel is assembled with the extension before it is mated to the upper and barrel nut...

What I’m showing is the barrel extension not the muzzle and I think in this case they assembled it in a different order they must’ve put the barrel nut first and then the barrel extension

What I’m showing is the barrel extension not the muzzle and I think in this case they assembled it in a different order they must’ve put the barrel nut first and then the barrel extension

I thought the step in the barrel was like when they'll turn the diameter down at the muzzle for an aperture sight. I followed the staining on the steel and see that's kind of in front of the chamber.

I'd still cut it off. Reciprocating saw blades are cheaper than buying all the tools.

One thing to consider if you remove or change a barrel extension it may not line up with the gas port when reinstalled. If you have a lathe material may be removed from the extension face or barrel shoulder to get the alignment pin and gas port to line up again.