• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel Flutes

Mojo0254

Private
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2014
I'm considering having barrel flutes done on my next barrel. I know they say it provides more surface area so helps cool the barrel faster in theory. My concern is since I will almost always be shooting it with a TBAC suppressor on it and that things out part of the barrel can spiral fluting do more harm than good like affect the repeatability of POI shift when removing the suppressor and putting it back on? I mostly was just looking at fluting the barrel for aesthetics so if it has negative affects it wouldn't be worth it to me. Sorry for the dumb question.

Fluting is primarily for aesthetics imo. It will remove some weight as well. The extra cooling is BS, just a shooter myth that will likely never die. Done correctly, shouldn't have any negative affect.

Whats the primary purpose of the rifle?

less metal (fluting) will cause the barrel to heat up faster vs more metal

If you need a light barrel for hunting then fine. But if you’re shooting longer strings more metal is your friend.

Whats the primary purpose of the rifle?

less metal (fluting) will cause the barrel to heat up faster vs more metal

If you need a light barrel for hunting then fine. But if you’re shooting longer strings more metal is your friend.
Probably mostly just a range gun. Some hunting maybe the occasional PRS match but I can't put $500 in match fees and ammo very often so PRS will be rare.

No need for flutes then. And less metal contributes to faster heat up and more barrel weight helps rigidity and ability to spot impacts.

For those who don’t like to click links, from Shilen:

What about "fluting" a barrel?
Fluting is a service we neither offer nor recommend. If you have a Shilen barrel fluted, the warranty is void. Fluting a barrel can induce unrecoverable stresses that will encourage warping when heated and can also swell the bore dimensions, causing loose spots in the bore. A solid (un-fluted) barrel is more rigid than a fluted barrel of equal diameter. A fluted barrel is more rigid than a solid barrel of equal weight. All rifle barrels flex when fired. Accuracy requires that they simply flex the same and return the same each time they are fired, hence the requirement for a pillar bedded action and free floating barrel. The unrecoverable stresses that fluting can induce will cause the barrel to flex differently or not return from the flexing without cooling down a major amount. This is usually longer than a shooter has to wait for the next shot. The claim of the flutes helping to wick heat away faster is true, but the benefit of the flutes is not recognizable in this regard until the barrel is already too hot.

Definately not worth the $150 to me. I agree with Shilen. I will just go lighter contour if I need too, and if you are spending $150 to have it fluted you are better off spending $150 more and just going Proof carbon.

Reactions: Newbie2020
Years ago, a friend & customer had me order in a fluted (6 flutes) 6.5mm bbl in std Palma contour, to finish at 26". He ran into some financial issues before we used this blank, and I wound up buying it from him, and then used it in a 6.5x47 Lapua build on a trued M700 action in a laminated stock for myself. This is the only fluted bbl I've ever owned, and I'll probably never buy another one. Even though it was a cut-rifled bbl from a very reputable maker, it was a picky SOB when it came to shooting well with handloads - I tried so many combinations in it that it boggled the mind, and found one - and really only one - load that shot very well. Yeah, it looked cool, but jeez-o-pete, what a PITA...

I've got and had several fluted barrels and never any issue what so ever. I guess if the flutes were really deep, or done on a light contour barrel it could be an issue, but most will only flute a barrel big enough to do so. That said, spiral fluting is not something I do. Only straight due to the stress spiral can cause. It's generally thought of as a bad idea to flute one after its been chambered and all though.

I’ve only recently started machining and can say it’s easy to ruin a good piece of metal. They may not look like it but the machining process of flutes can be pretty brutal. Chatter could easily introduce variables that effect the harmonics. They do look cool.

Reactions: Mjnelson
I believe Hart barrels only recommends fluting of their barrels before lapping, the say it can effect internal dimensions.

Thanks everyone. The information here has lead me to not flute. It just looks cool of course but not with the possible other issues

I've had multiples of both, in different Cal's and contours. I never found a huge disadvantage to flutes, and also never found a clear advantage.

I no longer run fluted barrels. The cost isn't worth it.

Reactions: MarshallDodge
The only fluted barrel I have is on my Clark build 10/22. I would never put them on a larger caliber rifle.

0DEB5211-689E-4D4E-9883-1D1D14C64DF5.jpeg

Reactions: MarshallDodge
I've had multiples of both, in different Cal's and contours. I never found a huge disadvantage to flutes, and also never found a clear advantage.

I no longer run fluted barrels. The cost isn't worth it.
There isn't any advantage. It looks cool and that's it besides a small weight cut... I've never seen or known anyone who had any issues from flutes but it's not something I'd seek out and do again on any barrel other than 22LR. The cost just isn't worth it.

One of the top rifle builders and machinists of our time weighed in on this post against fluting. That’s good enough for me.

@MikeRTacOps
Have you had any rifles come back in fluted ?
Come back ?
I have built some fluted barrels back in the late 1980’s and up until around 1994 then it came to a complete stop. When a customer requests a fluted barrel on a new Tac Ops build, I decline respectfully. If they are looking for a lite build I'll do a Titanium reciever , carbon fiber stock a sporter barrel and cut it around 16 to 18 inches. It really all depends on the application of the platform and what the customer wants...

Mike R.

Reactions: jcmullis2
@MikeRTacOps
Come back for a rebarrel.
I find it very interesting that you you won’t flute In sure you have very good reasons for it.
Thank you for sharing.

@MikeRTacOps
Come back for a rebarrel.
I find it very interesting that you you won’t flute In sure you have very good reasons for it.
Thank you for sharing.
Negative... I would say there's probably 200 plus Tac Ops rifle's on the market that have fluted barrels that have ever been built. Have I done one in the past 20 years ? I might have but I honeslty don't remember so I'll take the 5th LOL

Mike R.

Reactions: jcmullis2
I’ve seen some ugly machine work get cleaned up nice & pretty to the naked eye. The average guy would never know the problems experienced, if any, during the machining process unless they used magnification and knew what they were looking at. I’ll stick with a non fluted barrel.