• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel fluting tool marks

Cynical

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 14, 2010
    Are the tool marks usually an extra charge or did I get lucky and get them for free?

Usually the flutes I see (and the total of two I own) are “cleaner” in the flutes.

So…should I say something to the shop or just pretend this one is extra special custom?

Attachments

• IMG_3706.jpeg
      IMG_3706.jpeg
      438.3 KB · Views: 271
    • Wow
    Reactions: Jack's Dad
    Having worked in machine shops basically my entire adult life (42 of my 60 years), and being a ASQ (American Society for quality) certified mechanical inspector I’d call them on it. Those are some heavy duty tool marks. Hell Stevie Wonder would have caught that before it got thru final Inspection. The machinist ( button pusher with modern CNC equipment) should have said something before it got to Final Inspection.

Wow, that sucks but I'm not sure how...if at all...that can be cleaned up.

Just me personally, but I wouldn't have a barrel fluted after it was stress relieved by the manufacture of the blank. There is a reason they do that.

The micro edges provide extra surface area for ultra fast cooling. 😄

I like this line. I get more frustrated every time I look at it. I guess I’ll reach out to the shop, but I’m not sure what to ask for since it probably can’t be cleaned up and I don’t really think it is reasonable to demand an entirely new barrel. Maybe a discount on another one? I don’t want flutes again given the work quality here.

Just me personally, but I wouldn't have a barrel fluted after it was stress relieved by the manufacture of the blank. There is a reason they do that.

It’s a hunting gun, my truck axle barrels don’t have flutes and don’t come from this shop.

Reactions: Baron23

Shouldn't have an affect on a cut rifle barrel, I actually don't think they normally stress relieve them.

Honestly, I think it looks sorta cool. Are the ridges even in all flutes?

Yes. That’s why I assumed it was tool marks from a worn tool. It isn’t obnoxious just not what I expected.

It's the hockey stick starting angle that throws me for a loop.
    I also wouldn't get flutes put in after the fact.
    8 flute master race checking in.
    IMG_8897.jpeg

IMG_7685.jpeg

Just be a curtious and none ego as possible.

I've had a few shops in my life that surprised me.
    Good and bad.
    But only bad if I started with an attitude

Yeah the off angle at the start would bother me more then the flutes.
    Most of the fluting I’ve seen starts straight and then angles. Partially why I’ve never had flutes on barrels except one I had done for my Barrett to try and match the OEM look.

Reactions: B-Ricks
    Shouldn't have an affect on a cut rifle barrel, I actually don't think they normally stress relieve them.
    Our material starts out heat treated and double stress relieved to begin with.

We don't induce any stress into the blank during rifling so we don't have to restress relieve the blank again vs a button barrel. I would never flute a button barrel.

Fluting is cosmetic and yes it will reduce weight as your taking steel off of the barrel blank. It does nothing for helping accuracy or making it stiffer in my opinion.

I do caution though on even fluting a cut rifled barrel. I do feel you can flute the barrels to deep and this can cause harmonics and vibration issues. So we have a standard on yow deep we go with the flutes. I feel you have to keep in mind the bore size and caliber as well.

Up to a .750" muzzle diameter only .050" deep.

From .775" to a .830" muzzle diameter a max depth of .075"

From .850" to 1" diameter muzzle max depth is .100".

If someone flutes the barrel for you and goes deeper than the above I mentioned we might not warranty the barrel if you have any issues. Another concern that has been brought up when a guy flutes barrels... what happens if one flute is deeper or not as deep as the other flutes or an opposing flute? Will that cause issues?

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels

This is not a Bartlein blank, and I don't think I'll share where it came from because I'm not looking to drag anyone down. I didn't feel like it should have made it out of the door, and things here mostly confirmed that. I'll reach out to the shop to see if we can find some middle ground. It is a button barrel, not cut, so Frank's post doesn't give me tons of warm fuzzies but if it shoots, it shoots.

Reactions: Taylorbok
    Do they have pics of other fluting jobs on their website?

Do they look similar?

They set the standard when they post pictures, and if they do not match, they fell short.

Do they have pics of other fluting jobs on their website?

Do they look similar?

They set the standard when they post pictures, and if they do not match, they fell short.

The photo on the webpage shows much, much cleaner fluting for both spiral flutes as well as straight flutes.

Our material starts out heat treated and double stress relieved to begin with.

We don't induce any stress into the blank during rifling so we don't have to restress relieve the blank again vs a button barrel. I would never flute a button barrel.

Fluting is cosmetic and yes it will reduce weight as your taking steel off of the barrel blank. It does nothing for helping accuracy or making it stiffer in my opinion.

I do caution though on even fluting a cut rifled barrel. I do feel you can flute the barrels to deep and this can cause harmonics and vibration issues. So we have a standard on yow deep we go with the flutes. I feel you have to keep in mind the bore size and caliber as well.

Up to a .750" muzzle diameter only .050" deep.

From .775" to a .830" muzzle diameter a max depth of .075"

From .850" to 1" diameter muzzle max depth is .100".

If someone flutes the barrel for you and goes deeper than the above I mentioned we might not warranty the barrel if you have any issues. Another concern that has been brought up when a guy flutes barrels... what happens if one flute is deeper or not as deep as the other flutes or an opposing flute? Will that cause issues?

Later, Frank
    Bartlein Barrels
    Taylor - you were right (well, mostly haha) and I was wrong (a common occurrence! lol)

@Frank Green - thanks for taking the time to reply, Frank. You're an awesome resource to this community.

Cheers

Reactions: Frank Green
    This is not a Bartlein blank, and I don't think I'll share where it came from because I'm not looking to drag anyone down. I didn't feel like it should have made it out of the door, and things here mostly confirmed that. I'll reach out to the shop to see if we can find some middle ground. It is a button barrel, not cut, so Frank's post doesn't give me tons of warm fuzzies but if it shoots, it shoots.
    Wasn't poking at you or anything like that. The barrel could be just fine... you won't know till you get it on the gun and shoot it. You have no way of measuring the bore/grooves to check to see if anything changed etc...

Like I said, I tell guys yes it will save weight and it might help the barrel cool a little faster but that's all it's doing for you.... and in the end if you just like it because of the looks I'll take your $135 all day long. If you need to save weight.... drop the contour and skip the fluting and save your $$$.

Reactions: Baron23