• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel for a dpms lr308?

signal5

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
tx
Now that I am in the proces of looking around for parts to build a dpms LR308 I am seeing there are lots of options for barrels? I am looking for something about 18 inches about medium weight and it must have a threaded barrel. Does anybody have any suggestions? My main purpose for this rifle will be hunting some casual target shooting.

Re: Barrel for a dpms lr308?

My LR308 wears a SASS barrel. It is heavy but not to heavy to carry around and a nice length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is heavy but not to heavy to carry around </div></div>

You're stronger than I am.

Rainier select or fulton 18" chrome lined (brownells) are what come to mind for me.

I bought the Rainier Select bbl and it's an awesome barrel so far for me. I built my Mega using it and am more then satisfied. I haven't been able to do any actual accuracy groups but its sighted in and last weekend my buddy and I took it out from 300 to 700 yards. We were hitting 12x12 steel consistently with ease. Yeah I know that that equates to a 2moa barrel but considering I don't have much time behind the gun I'm content.

Oh and the ammo was 50 rounds 165 sp Factory Reload specials from Cabelas and a box of 168 Prvi Match. I know that the gun shoots better then me.

YOu'll be satisfied with Rainier

I'll second the recommendation for the DPMS SASS barrel. Mine will give me between .35-.75 inch five shot groups with handloaded 175 SMKs and shoots FGMM 168s in the .60-1.0 range.

....and, no, it is not too heavy to carry around.

Well I have read some things about the gas block on the DPMS SASS barrel being a size that only DPMS makes. I am wanting to use a JP adjustable gas block because I plan on using my suppressor with it. I am leaning towards the rainer select barrel but they do not have it in stock right now. Hopefully he will have some soon.

was under the impression that the special DPMS SASS gas block was only required so that you could put a rifle length handguard on it (like the DPMS SASS design). I could be wrong though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was under the impression that the special DPMS SASS gas block was only required so that you could put a rifle length handguard on it (like the DPMS SASS design). I could be wrong though. </div></div>

This is true. There are 2 gas blocks that fit both from DPMS. One is 80$ the other is 25$. Guess which one most people use...

Weight is a matter of perspective...mine was a good 14lbs with A2 stock and IOR scope. My current rifle is 12lbs even same scope and with a bipod + irons to boot and that is the most I can stand to lug around...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was under the impression that the special DPMS SASS gas block was only required so that you could put a rifle length handguard on it (like the DPMS SASS design). I could be wrong though. </div></div>

DSC_0069.jpg

Does this answer the question. DPMS SASS barrel with JP adjustable gas block and rifle length free float tube.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bowslngr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was under the impression that the special DPMS SASS gas block was only required so that you could put a rifle length handguard on it (like the DPMS SASS design). I could be wrong though. </div></div>

DSC_0069.jpg

Does this answer the question. DPMS SASS barrel with JP adjustable gas block and rifle length free float tube. </div></div>

That picture confuses the hell out of me. Doesn't look like my DPMS 7.62 SASS barrel. Mine takes a mid length gas tube, which means that the gas block is under the rifle length free float tube. The fluting near the end of your barrel does not look as pronounced as mine either.

Edit: I just looked at my JP adjustable gas block I have installed on my bull barreled DPMS 260. It would fit under the free float tube if it needed to. Of course, that would require a hole to be drilled in the float tube to access the set screw.

Well after looking checking a few things it appears DPMS is now selling the SASS barrel configured for a mid-length gas system. But when I purchased mine it was ported for a rifle length system. Either way both are showing the same diameter at the gas port, thus JP gas blocks will work fine for either. As for the gas tube and FF tube just find what works for your barrel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a DPMS MK12 barrel. It is rifle length gas and lighter profile than SASS. </div></div>

Not as it was advertised when I purchased it. The barrel was being advertised as a SASS barrel and there is nothing light about it. It is .936 under to the gas block then is reduced to .750 to the muzzle.