• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel for AR build

woodsrunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2010
Butler, Pa
I'm building an AR-15 in .223 cal. I'm looking at WOA and I like their SPR match barrel. The only problem is I think a 1 in 8 twist would be better than the 1 in 7 twist for my purpose. I will mainly be shooting in 1-300 yards with this rifle. It would be nice to have the chance to reach 600 yards when I find the space for it. I would mainly be shooting 62 gr bullets. What twist would be best? And are there any suggestions on different manufacturers and their barrels?

Thanks

Re: Barrel for AR build

I think general consensus is that the 1:7 twist won't hurt anything. You may lose some theoretical velocity but you're not going to run into any "over-stability" problems, if that's what you're worried about.

Thanks, I've been looking around and trying to find a straight answer. My other question is will having a 1 in 7 make the barrel wear faster than if I had a 1 in 8 twist? Or will it be too minimal to really notice?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Or will it be too minimal to really notice? </div></div>Again, I think it would be splitting hairs. By all accounts the WOA is a great, nay exceptional, barrel and will treat you right.

You will be able to shoot a .223 for a LONG time w/o hurting the barrel. What kills barrels is extended rates of fire. Keep it cool.. well at least not too hot to touch and you won't have a thing to worry about.

Also, why are you stuck shooting 62gr bullets? Did you buy in bulk? Why not try some 69,75 or 77gr?

I just finished an upper with one of the WOA 18" SPR barrels and should be shooting it tomorrow, will let you know how it does. If it shoots as well as everyone says they do I will be more than happy with it.

Shot an 18" WOA Match SPR in a comp last month... just put one on my AR today because of it. It seems to love 77 gr. 500-600 yards in NOT a problem with the 1:7

Oh, an extra $50 gets you a headspaced bolt matched for the barrel.

Nothing wrong with 1:8, IMO it's a good middle of the road twist. I actually prefer 1:9 but 95% of the time I shoot 55gr ammo and I consistantly get the best acuracy out of my Rock River 1:9 with the 55gr garbage I feed it. When I want to sling some 75gr Tap I go to the LMT with 1:7 and it also likes 69gr Federal Gold Medal. My LaRue loves 77gr and hates 69gr Fed.

Following the train of thought that a tighter twist prefers a heavier bullet doesn't always apply, I had to prove that to myself. Just keep in mind that the barrel is going to tell you what it likes, not the other way around.

I have this barrel (mid-gas) on my 3-gun rifle. It's a great shooter and very accurate, and I'm using 55gr most of the time.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm going to order the WOA SPR. I was asking about the 62 gr bullets since I would like to shoot some cheap stuff through it and not always have to shoot a 69 or 75 gr bullet.

Just got back from the range. Very happy.

You can use 62 FMJ's all day long through a 1:7 twist match barrel just like you can through a 1:7 chrome lined or 1:8 stainless blah blah. Just keep in mind that in order to get the most accuracy you'll probably have to pick a match bullet that your barrel likes.

Reload and roll match rounds for the price of crap surplus.

Another +1 for the WOA barrels. Get the extra bolt for the cost you can't go wrong plus you will have an extra from your old bolt. I use a WOA for competition and it performs great.

The bolt sounds like a good idea to me, thanks guys. Anyone know what the WOA SPR likes to shoot that can still be mag loaded?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt sounds like a good idea to me, thanks guys. Anyone know what the WOA SPR likes to shoot that can still be mag loaded?
</div></div>

I was using 75HPBT hornady handloads with 24.3 varget loaded to mag length. They were working well enough for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodsrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bolt sounds like a good idea to me, thanks guys. Anyone know what the WOA SPR likes to shoot that can still be mag loaded?
</div></div>

77 gr SMK, LC or win brass, 25.2 grs RE-15, seated to cunthair under mag length, cant recall off top of my head the seat depth i use

77 gr. SMK from Black Hills in 5.56mm shoots unreal for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seated to cunthair under mag length</div></div>

Ahhh.. my favorite hide unit of measurement. I hear Nightforce is coming out with a new retical/knob combo in cunthair units for benchrest shooters.

20 cunthairs = .1Mil

the way I see it is when i'm just shooting cheap ammo(55gr) for fun i'm not going for small groups but when I do want to shoot groups I'm going to use better/heavier ammo, which the faster twist barrels will generally be better. So I went with 1/7 twist with the understanding that it may not be ideal for 55gr but will work fine and it is ideal for 69/75/77gr. I just had my dad order a 1/8 twist because I know he doesn't want to spend a lot on ammo so hes going to be running mostly 55gr but may be getting into reloading, so the 1/8 is a good compromise.

I definitely understand that kv. I have a fairly stock ar-15 right now and I'm working on building one. I'm wanted to make sure I can still shoot cheaper ammo out of it when I'm not wanting to shoot small groups or going for some distance. I got a good deal on some 62 gr ammo and I still have a number of 55 gr left too.
I'd prefer the 1 in 8, but its not worth the extra money for me to buy the fluted 1 in 8 twist barrel for WOA.

I don't understand the hang-up with 7 twist AR barrels. My 20" Wilson 8 twist shoots 77gr SMKs very well. I don't see a need for more than that in an AR 15.

rifling is overrated. get whatever tubing ya want and run 1000 rounds thru as fast as you can squeeze, the goal being to maker red hot so you can see the bullets as they fly thru the bore.this process should convert yer 1 in (fill in the blank) twist barrel into a ubertactical 0 in 16" twist laserbeam of death.
after this "breakin" procedure you can use any weight bullet you like equally well out to a mile.