• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel for MATEN Build

Raider Power

Private
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2011
Dallas, TX
I know my timing is spectacular on this, but I'm starting to piece together parts for a MATEN build. I'm looking to build a medium weight precision rifle in 6.5 creedmoor that will primarily be a target rifle and a medium range hunting rifle for Texas whitetail size game animals. I'm thinking either a 20" or 22" but I'm be open to other suggestions as well. I plan to run a suppressor at some point too so I'd like to keep it as short as I can get away with but not lose a ton of performance. I would appreciate some advice on barrel length, profile and barrel maker. I'd like to get a top end barrel and am leaning towards Krieger for the barrel, but that's very preliminary a this point.

My current hunting rifle is a Remington Sendero so I'm not overly weight sensitive for a hunting rifle. For this rifle, I'm more concerned about keeping it reasonably compact.

I am not up to speed with who would have the barrels available, but sounds like your current thoughts of a Krieger at about 22" is on the money. I just completed a MATEN build, got most of the important parts before the madness began. Off track on the topic a little. Thoughts on a forearm yet? The Daniel Defense lite rail matches the top receiver rail on the Mega perfect on the way they are machined. Just passing it along.

My buddies MATEN runs a Lothar Walther match barrel. Very similar to the ones on the OBR's. It's extremely accurate. The LW barrel came with a matching bolt and is 20" long. It was only around $380 too.
Seeing the results he has gotten would not leave a doubt in my mind as to what barrel I would use. It's definitely GAP-10/OBR accurate....consistently.

I think Lothar has some in stock right now as well.

Ive got a DPMS bolt carrier group on order, but I'm not married to it by any stretch. I could just as easily order an armalite BCG too and sell the DPMS