• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Harmonics???

BullyDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2014
Bama
Hello, I was just setting here thinking. Most all the popular actions (Defiance, Surgeon) all have a integral scope mount machined into the top of the action. We are told that this strengthens the action or stiffens it up. Has anyone wondered if this integral part, has a positive effect on the barrels harmonics??? I ask this because if it does, do you think that mounting a steel base ( not the standard aluminum) on an action without this part machined in ( Stiller Tac 30, Rem 700), will it have a noticeable, positive effect on barrel harmonics and accuracy??? Also, what about using steel rings vs. titanium or aluminum??? What type of medal rings will show less movement based on temperature variations, IF ANY???? I wonder if this could be one deciding factor of a HIT or MISS??? Gun Smiths please chime in.....

The optic mounting systems you use has no effect on barrel harmonics...

And as far as hits and misses the extra rigidity added by a removable base or even an integral base will have little to do with hits and misses. There are so many other factors that will have a much larger impact on weather you hit your target than the very little increase in rigidity of your action. IMO just forget about this and build your rifle as you want it.

Last edited: