• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Heat - Diminished Accuracy or....

@lowlight Thanks for the primer on Weaponized Math; it definitely makes sense. I used ballistic calc (Ballistic AE) app on my phone because it had the exact ammo (FGMB) I was using built into the software and had been dead nuts at 200 and 300 yards. No reason to suspect it would be inaccurate at 600.

@OG10 Should I be concerned you know what ammo I'm buying?

You could get almost any ammo out there "dead nuts" on at 200 and 300 without using any sort of calculation at all. Dial .5 mils for the former, 1 mils for the latter and you might very well be within the margin of error of most shooters (e.g. if you're a 1/0th mrad off, that's about an inch... and if you're shooting a two inch group, you might never see it). That might vary a touch depending on the bullet and the starting MV. Point being, if you use any system and it evidences error at 200 or 300, something is very wrong.

If you peruse this sight, you'll see any number of folks that have meticulously entered every scrap of data to be had on the projectile looking to "true" their calculations or griping that their chosen software isn't matching up. The general school of thought is true to velocity at 600 based on your DOPE (i.e. fiddle with MV until the output matches the observation... shoot it first), and then true via BC at distance. It's been discussed here on the Hide extensively.

The advantage of weaponized math is that it's built on your DOPE - hard data - not a theoretical model that needs to be tweaked. In fact, in generates the data you can go back and tweak the model with. Win - win. ;-) The "disadvantage" is that you actually have to shoot - torturous!