• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Barrel heat/lower POI?

Matches Malone

Jihad Joe
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2017
Your moms bed
If it matters, this is something I've noticed with my 6.5 creed in a AR10 platform.
Anyways, its not a problem, as I rarely let this happen however I was curious if this was a common phenomenon.
When shooting at range (i've never noticed anything at close range) as I get into the 10-15 round mark and as the barrel starts to get hot, I notice my POI goes down....the hotter the barrel the more the shift. Now i'm not one to want to, or often machine gun a barrel on a precision rifle out, but it is a semi auto and I have put 20 rounds down range in a 30 minute period. The only thing I can think is its related to the barrel heat...I single load these rounds in so im not sure if the bolt changing seating depth has anything to do with it. Its always at least the 10 rounds, when not taking my time.

Last edited:
Poor heat treating/stress-relief of the barrel I'd bet, especially if your cadence is ~1 round every 90 seconds.