• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel heating question

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
Gents,

Looking for some info on shooting strings with a thin barrel.

I've a Rem M7 that heats up very quickly (3-4 shots) and takes a fair while to cool. It makes running load development a long session at the range. What are the downsides to shooting a hot barrel? At what point does it becoming harmful to the barrel?

Cheers

Re: Barrel heating question

If shooting a hot (factory) barrel, chances are that POI may shift thereby altering usefulness of load development. As far as how hot to let your barrel get, I don't let mine get any hotter than I'm able to hold it.

If I cannot hold the back of my hand against the barrel, I'm running hotter than I like to.

As for accuracy and barrel temperature, it's probably a function of how you develop and test your loads.

If you load for accuracy out of a cold barrel, then you may run into accuracy issues if the firing cadence you need to adopt forces you to shoot a hot barrel.

If, however, you develop the load's accuracy to correspond to a hot barrel, then such heating problems become something of a different kind of problem; one that's related more to bore life than accuracy.

Therein lies the tradeoff.

Greg

Thanks for the info.

I wonder what the approximate difference in barrel barrel life would be between two identical barrels, one shot hot and the other not.

I suppose there are two many variables to hazard a reliable guess.

Rath

Hard to quantify, but I'm betting it's significant.

In 'Nam we had a spare replacment barrels for our M-60's and more'n a few of them were glowing when they were getting swapped out. They came with an heat-protective mit, and the spare barrel case was insulated.

That's an extreme case, but consider the effects of bullet/gasses wear and tear on metal that's been heated internally to at least several hundred degrees.

Greg