• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel in the white coating/finishing?

SSW7

Private
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2007
I'm looking at getting a chrome moly rough turned barrel blank in the white. I was wondering what options would I have in terms of coating the finished barrel. Would cerakote be an alternative to blueing?

Cheers,

Re: Barrel in the white coating/finishing?

Yep. Also duracoat, kg guncoat, krylon, etc......

Moly Resin works great, I have used it for years and have had excellent results with wear and protection. On my next gig though I plan on trying some cerakote to see how it holds up in relation. Duracoat is ok but it goes on thick and looks like a paint finish. Moly Resin is thin enough you can put it on the metal under an AR FSB put the FSB on/ Take it off and the finish still look perfect.

Cerakote all the way

Thanks for the replies,

I was thinking Cerakote as I can get it locally (Australia). But also interested in the moly-resin, it sounds similar to cerakote anybody used both and compared the results?