• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel installation question?

marc308

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2010
Southington, CT
I have a KAC SR25 upper that needs to have a barrel installed. The barrel I got is from Rainier Arms, a 16" Ultra Match. The barrel is about 1-2 thousands of an inch bigger than the opening in the receiver.

The question I have is would it be okay to freeze the barrel and heat the receiver with a heat gun to make the installation possible without machining the parts to make the dimensions match? Would this small difference in dimension distort the upper receiver?

Talk to Rainier. I know voodoo had a few barrels with the same problem. What happens is the alignment peg gets mushroomed out a bit when pressing it in and then it won't slide in the extension.

I found these specs online, I don't know if the source is legit though. My extension measures a 1.186-1.1865 in diameter, where as the print shows 1.188. I will try to give Rainier a call today.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 8
You might want to do a little research. Many AR components do NOT interchange with KAC rifles. I think the barrel and bolt assembly are two of them.

You might want to do a little research. Many AR components do NOT interchange with KAC rifles. I think the barrel and bolt assembly are two of them.

I thought I did my research, but maybe not. My SR25 is just an upper and lower receiver that needs to be built into a complete rifle. I ordered an UltraMatch barrel with a DPMS barrel extension already installed. I will be using a JP bolt and carrier. I was under the impression this would work.

I have a call into Rainier, hoping to hear back from them today.

I got the barrel in this morning. Just a little heat from an electric heat gun, and it dropped right in.

I thought I did my research, but maybe not. My SR25 is just an upper and lower receiver that needs to be built into a complete rifle. I ordered an UltraMatch barrel with a DPMS barrel extension already installed. I will be using a JP bolt and carrier. I was under the impression this would work.

I have a call into Rainier, hoping to hear back from them today.

I got the barrel in this morning. Just a little heat from an electric heat gun, and it dropped right in.

You could very well be on the right track. Rainier and JP know what they are doing.