• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Length .308 any Ideas

Kevlars

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
USA
Hello All,

I am sure that this got brought up again and again .. but wanted to ask some opinions on barrel length... there are some people that say longer is better and others that say shorter and stiff is better ... and now where in between. Regarless what camp you fall into ... can you give me hard evidence to either one.

Thanks

Re: Barrel Length .308 any Ideas

It is a tradeoff between:
1. Longer barrels give more velocity. About 20fps per inch (308).
The higher velocity bucks the wind better at long range.
2. Shorter barrels are stiffer and therefore, on average, more accurate. Shorter barrel rifle is lighter, and has less weight way out front. Shorter barrel rifles handle better. Shorter barrels (20") have enough velocity to reach out to 1000 yards (in 308).

For a long time, longer barrels were considered superior so there is the momentum of having done things that way in the past.

The trend, for sniper type rifles, is to shorter barrels. 20" is now the most popular length in a sniper rifle.

Thank you.. I am leaning on a 20 inch barrel ... some people even say 18 but I think that is too short and will kick a little more...

Lighter weight rifles kick more, so I suppose a shorter barreled rifle might kick a bit more. I have a Sako 20" and it kicks, hmm, well it's not a problem for me but it is not the pussy cat my AICS 26" heavy rifle is (you hardly have to push it into your shoulder, it is so light in kick). But it weighs substantially more.

BOTH WORK.

I was reading the indoor BR story about shooting in a warehouse with 0 wind climet controlled conditions. they had the best shooters and rifles invited to do their best. the guy that ran it was quoted as saying the perfect 308 barrel for shooting groups had to be 21.75 inches.
I have no idea what you should use, good luck, let us know what happens.

If your worried about recoil you can always get a muzzle brake,.. the new AAC-SD rifles are already threaded and have a 20 inch barrel.

I read that story, too, but thought it was somewhat fiction...anyhow, I read innumerable opinions and decided to have my 26" cut to 22". The main problem with your question is not necessarily that it has been asked a jillion times (which it has) but that you don't specify what you will be using it for. There are perfectly legitimate reasons for going 14-30. I chose 22" since I primarily shoot at the static range and hunt in the mountains, have a varmint contour, don't like recoil, don't want to thread for a muzzle break nor suppressor. My targets are 100-600 yards. I want my bullets to perform properly on deer. Etc. If you compose something like that, you will get much better info.

Thanks all that does help ... what I am looking for is accuracy and shooting out to about 800 yds.

I read the write up from a guy that works at GPS sniper school in Az and he said that he cut a barrel in front of the students .. crowned it and shot it more accruatly than a AI. and that got me thinking as my barrel is currently 24 inches ... would it be benifical going to 20 inches.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I read the write up from a guy that works at GPS sniper school in Az and he said that he cut a barrel in front of the students .. crowned it and shot it more accruatly than a AI. and that got me thinking as my barrel is currently 24 inches ... would it be benifical going to 20 inches. </div></div>

Please do this as and video the results it would be very helpful and informative to most of us and the shooting community at large

if you shooting in F-class, i would go with 26" or longer ,for tactical comp. 18-22" ...

24 inch seems to be a nice happy medium these days. Seems to offer decent wieght and the same goes with projectile velocities and accuracy from short to long range.

This is like asking guys if they prefer blondes or brunettes. Your gonna get one extreme to the other. I had a 24" barrel on my 308 and I loved it. It would get out to 1000yd very accurately. If your mainly target shooting just keep it 24" I don't see the point of chopping off 2 or even 4" unless it's a specific need. The benefit of added velocity is better than a "stiffer" barrel. If you do a proper node test with a chrono, the small amount of added flex you get from a longer barrel won't even matter. There's a point where guys try to do something like shopping off the barrel in the hopes of magical accuracy and in the end it doesn't do a damn thing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Apophas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello All,

I am sure that this got brought up again and again .. but wanted to ask some opinions on barrel length... there are some people that say longer is better and others that say shorter and stiff is better ... and now where in between. Regarless what camp you fall into ... can you give me hard evidence to either one.

Thanks </div></div>
It is not the size of the worm but how you wiggle it. Cant hit the bottom of a tuna can but Ill knock the hell out of the sides!
I have seen 18" do any thing that a 26" will.

What are you looking for hard evidence of? Accuracy? Shorter barrels are arguably more accurate than longer barrels of the same profile, but that probably applies more to thinner, hunting type barrels. When you get into the world of precision shooting and are shooting a barrel that is around 1" in diameter all the way out to the muzzle, the general rules don't apply.

I'd say that for total no holds barred accuracy, the longest barrel that you can get will be the best. The rifle will recoil less, it will be more stable, I think it will take longer to get hot and you'll get more velocity up to the point where all of the powder is burned off and the bullet is no longer being pushed.

Still, in the real world, firearms are like everything else. It's all a trade off. By going with a shorter (and consequently lighter) barrel, you are inviting more recoil, a less stable platform, more heat and less velocity. On the other hand, you gain a more portable package that is easier to handle.

My rifle has a 22" tube and I'm really considering chopping it to 20". My current barrel starts at 1.25" at the breech and tapers to around 1" at the muzzle. My next build is going to be based on an 18" tube with a 1.25" straight taper (or no taper). Short rifles are mighty handy.

If you need a comparison, I have a friend that built his rifle almost the same as mine. HS Precision stock, Krieger barrel, Remington 700 action. My barrel is 22" long and his is 26" long. Both had their chambers cut using the same reamer and both were installed by the same gunsmith. We go to the range, share ammo, etc. Both rifles shoot bug holes (.2-.3" groups) regularly. The only difference is that he's getting around 80 FPS more velocity out of his rifle than I am. At 600 yards that translates into my having to dial an extra 1.5 min of adjustment. Really no big deal.

In short, I really think that barrel length is more of a preference than a need in order to have accuracy. Get what you think looks cooler. Just remember, if in doubt, go longer. You can always have it cut again.

if it's longer than my weener I get an enferiority complex, therefore all my guns have 2 inches or less barrels, but they are bull so it makes up for the length

Thanks all ... I dont want to belabor this point ... I have come to a decision ... I have a 24 inch barrel and I am cutting it down to 20 and puttin on a AWC Thunder Trap.

Apophas