• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk BARREL LENGTH FOR 6MM CREEDMOOR

6.5guys2

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2019
Tn
I’m About to build a 6mm creedmoor on a terminus Zeus action for a mid prs/coyote gun gonna run it in a krg bravo stock for coyote hunting to keep it light as possible and a mpa chassis for prs I was thanking about going with a 20 or 22in barrel for the coyote barrel and I was wandering wat kinda muzzle velocity I would b getting out of those and witch do u guys recommend 20 or 22 The reason I’m going so short is because I will b running a CAN also I’m gonna run factory ammo at first for the coyote barrel wat freebore do most guys run for best preformance I will b reloading after first 5 boxes of factory ammo and also wat freebore do u recommend for the prs barrel reloads only in it preferably unless factory shoots so good I don’t wanna reload witch is doubtful but who knows any info will help guys thanks a lot

Reactions: Webber1
First, your post is very hard to read; might work on your grammar to help everyone interpret your requests.
Second, I wouldn't go shorter than 22" for your intended application. At 22" you're not giving up a ton of velocity, while keeping the rifle fairly handy. I ran a 22" 6 creed for coyotes for a couple years, and velocity was pretty decent.
Third, I'd suggest not trying to make it an all in one project. Get a longer barrel for matches, and spin a shorter/lighter barrel on for hunting. The only way to maximize barrel life on a 6 creed is to run it with cooler burning powders or not hot rod the charge; both require a longer barrel. Chopping your barrel down will require you to run it a little hotter thus reducing barrel life.
If you decide to reload, find something in the 2900 fps range and run that for matches. Chasing velocity over 3000 fps in a 6 creed will reduce your barrel life significantly in my experience.

Reactions: 1moaoff
Thanks for the info I ment to put in there my prs barrel is 28in btw

A hunting rifle barrel can not properly be used as a PRS barrel. They are two different tools for two completely different styles of shooting. Can it be done? Sure so long as you’re ok being tired carrying a heavy rifle in the field or ok with not spotting some of your misses/hits and you’re happy outside of a top 10 finish.

My go to PRS rifle has a 28” heavy varmint.
My hunting rifles has a proof carbon 20” 6.5 creed with can.
My long range hunter has a 26” carbon 28 nosler.

Also for your question on freebore you’ll want long for PRS to use the 105/109 hybrids. For coyotes it depends. Is your goal just to kill them? Do you want the pelts? If you want to keep pelts you want the lightest varmint bullet possible. This would require a shorter freebore and slower twist. Again leading back to my earlier point that a PRS rifle barrel is not a hunting barrel in 90% of situations unless you hunt from a tripod 30 feet from your house across a field.

Not trying to discourage you but I think you’d be better off with 2 different barrels.

Also for your question on freebore you’ll want long for PRS to use the 105/109 hybrids. For coyotes it depends. Is your goal just to kill them? Do you want the pelts? If you want to keep pelts you want the lightest varmint bullet possible. This would require a shorter freebore and slower twist. Again leading back to my earlier point that a PRS rifle barrel is not a hunting barrel in 90% of situations unless you hunt from a tripod 30 feet from your house across a field.

Not trying to discourage you but I think you’d be better off with 2 different barrels.
That’s wat I’m doing I put that in a reply I forgot to say that exactly when I posted it the small barrel is only for coyote hunting that’s it my prs barrel is 26in and gonna have a can or it will b 28 with a muzzle break I haven’t made my mind up on that yet I’m only worried about velocity for the 20in barrel for coyote hunting the prs barrel will b no problem with speed as I will load for it and get it right as for the coyote barrel I’m gonna run factory in it if I can get the speed I’m lookin for if not I’ll load for it as well thanks for the info guys

A hunting rifle barrel can not properly be used as a PRS barrel. They are two different tools for two completely different styles of shooting. Can it be done? Sure so long as you’re ok being tired carrying a heavy rifle in the field or ok with not spotting some of your misses/hits and you’re happy outside of a top 10 finish.

My go to PRS rifle has a 28” heavy varmint.
My hunting rifles has a proof carbon 20” 6.5 creed with can.
My long range hunter has a 26” carbon 28 nosler.

That’s wat I’m doing I put that in a reply I forgot to say that exactly when I posted it the small barrel is only for coyote hunting that’s it my prs barrel is 26in and gonna have a can or it will b 28 with a muzzle break I haven’t made my mind up on that yet I’m only worried about velocity for the 20in barrel for coyote hunting the prs barrel will b no problem with speed as I will load for it and get it right as for the coyote barrel I’m gonna run factory in it if I can get the speed I’m lookin for if not I’ll load for it as well thanks for the info guys

I’ve killed plenty of coyotes with a .223. A 6 creed with a 10” barrel will kill a coyote just fine. 22 creed is a killer varmint round but you’d need to
Load for it. Otherwise get a saami 6 creed and shoot berger 105 hybrid ammo. You can hunt deer and hog with it too

I've never shot a PRS/NRL match with a barrel longer than 23". I also suck so take this with a grain of salt.