• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors barrel length for suppressor

piranhasniper

Private
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2010
help...just ordered YHM 7.62 and just got my savage 10 PC...im having the bar. threaded and was thinking about cutting it down as well...any input on length...i was thinking 17 + thread...its a 1/10 twist...thanks in advance

Re: barrel length for suppressor

22" with threading.

Something you should really consider before cutting the barrel is your application and basic range. For instance hunting, range shooting, long range, competition, full power and sub-sonic. If you are going 500yds and under full and sub ammo, I would go 16-20". Looking out further and full power mostly 24" barrel. Just a thought.

My 22" with 9" SRT Shadow XL can(I am the bald one
wink.gif
). Not overly long and still gives plenty of velocity to reach out past 1000 without a rainbow trajectory. Getting about 2715fps with 178 AMAX. To me I would rather have the extra 4 inches and get better ballistics out of the rifle but some would rather have a shorter rifle. Just make sure what you want as once you go to 18" you can't get it back to 22" without spending a bunch of money.
wink.gif
I'd listen to Stacey's thoughts on the subject.
SHC08_FLG-0500.jpg

No problems getting it through obstacles either.
SHC08_FLG-0731.jpg

If you do not plan to shoot past 800 yds pluck it to 18"

You would be surprised how much an extra couple of inches off the muzzle makes for a handier rifle.

thanks for all the help...my barrel is 20 right now...i was concerned with re-crowning it but i guess i would have to anyway...prob. go 17 + threads...I have a lot of background w 308 rifle but this is my first suppressed 08 project...want to make sure its done right...anyone use YHM to thread barrel...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You would be surprised how much an extra couple of inches off the muzzle makes for a handier rifle.

</div></div>

Some of us are used to swinging around a few extra inches
wink.gif

Piranha I wouldn't cut a factory tube to 17" and expect great long range performance from it but it's your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: piranhasniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for all the help...my barrel is 20 right now...i was concerned with re-crowning it but i guess i would have to anyway...prob. go 17 + threads...I have a lot of background w 308 rifle but this is my first suppressed 08 project...want to make sure its done right...anyone use YHM to thread barrel... </div></div>

I can hook you up on threading the barrel. There are many other smiths here that offer those services as well.

Funny Rob.

Hooper's threaded two of my barrels and installed a few Badger bolt knobs as well. He does good work.