• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Barrel Length: how much is too much?

Wheres-Waldo

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2008
Unknown
Application: Accurized Snipers Paradise Run Cactus Tac. 300 Win Mag
for as much range as I can muster out of it.
A 300WM Match reamer will be used on the new tube.
Throated for the 208 A-Max.

Im thinking either Rock Creek, Obermyer, Krieger or another Lothar-Walther barrel, something either no taper or very little.

My current barrel is finished at 26" and I'm wondering in 28-32" would just be too much?

Re: Barrel Length: how much is too much?

If you are planning on carrying it for any distance farther than the truck to the firing line I would NOT go over 28 inches in length.

Mine is 25.5" and pushing a 180 Accubond with 73 gr of RL22 in Lapua brass got me 3060fps...do you need more than that???? If so go longer but I went with "whatever the finish turns out to be" length on my build but wasn't concerned since almost all the reloading books list the 300WM with a 24" barrel.....

I have allot of military Mausers and Mosin Nagants that are 29 inches, but I am happy to buy tapered barrel blanks from Shilen or Lothar Walther that finish at 26".

The #1 and #2 taper barrels are often 22".

I run a 28" long 1" at muzzle barrel on my .308. Velocities are good with the slower powders, and all up weight on this rifle is about 17 pounds. When this barrel is shot out it will be getting a medium palma contour most likely.