• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Barrel Length on my Ruger Precision 6.5

paxamus

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
Alabama
Hey guys,
I am considering swapping the barrel on my 6.5 Creedmoor RPR to a Proof Carbon Fiber. I initially wanted to retain the 24" length, however they are backordered and found a 20". How detrimental would be loosing the four inches of barrel on it? I never shoot past 700 (longest range that I have access to and my hunting shots aren't near that far). Any input is appreciated as I am not a great ballistician, just like to shoot alot!

You will lose velocity, given the same load. Not a bad thing, per se. If you're only shooting out to 700 yards, a 20" barrel will get you there. If you're shooting factory ammo, you can't do anything about it. And barrel harmonics are unknown until you shoot it and try. If you hand load, you can play with seating depth and charge weight to find the right accuracy node for the barrel.

But all in all, 20" 6.5 Creedmoor should do just find @ 700 yards.

Don't know if you've considered other shops but I've got a LRI barrel on my RPR and it's a tack driver.

Thanks guys. I have looked at other barrels, but I try to hunt and shoot with all my rifles and I was wanting to cut what weight I could so I figured the carbon fiber would be the way to go. I don't want to invest in it and regret it later by losing too much velocity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I have seen and measured, you NEED to be at 24" for 6.5mm Creedmoor. I know that 6.5mm is all the rage. I tend to shoot what the Army, SEALs and Marines shoot. My sources tell me they are indeed moving to 6.5mm. But, here is the thing... from my perspective. 6.5 Grendel is amazing, and runs circles around 5.56 NATO. This is true in every way you can measure. But, 6.5 Creedmoor is a delicate round. Yes, I think it will surpass 7.62, but not by much. It only has success with very long barrels. I have not shot it. But, I have studied the metrics. 6.5 CM, IMHO, looks like it exceeds M118LR only with 24" barrels.

From what I have seen and measured, you NEED to be at 24" for 6.5mm Creedmoor. I know that 6.5mm is all the rage. I tend to shoot what the Army, SEALs and Marines shoot. My sources tell me they are indeed moving to 6.5mm. But, here is the thing... from my perspective. 6.5 Grendel is amazing, and runs circles around 5.56 NATO. This is true in every way you can measure. But, 6.5 Creedmoor is a delicate round. Yes, I think it will surpass 7.62, but not by much. It only has success with very long barrels. I have not shot it. But, I have studied the metrics. 6.5 CM, IMHO, looks like it exceeds M118LR only with 24" barrels.

It looks like the OP has no need to push his 6.5 to it's absolute limit though, so why the longer barrel? I am no expert or professional in this but if his intentions do not exceed 700 yards then wouldn't a 20 inch barrel suffice?

20-25fps per inch is a pretty solid rule of thumb across most cartridges. 20" barrel you're looking at 2650-2750fps with factory 140 ammo. So I'd run JBM with 2650 and your local weather data and see if it's warm enough for what you want to do.

My guess is that if you never push past 700, you'll barely notice a difference. A few more clicks on the scope past about 400yd, you'll still be VERY safely supersonic, and accuracy is a function of barrel/ammo quality, not length.

It looks like the OP has no need to push his 6.5 to it's absolute limit though, so why the longer barrel? I am no expert or professional in this but if his intentions do not exceed 700 yards then wouldn't a 20 inch barrel suffice?

For 700 yrds, I would think he is good, but approaching the envelope. But, you will notice that 6.5 CM specs are generally longer than .308 specs for the same target. Many .308 barrel specs are good at 18" at 600 yrds. Not so much with 6.5 CM.

Not sure I'm tracking, longshot. What envelope? I ran a couple of 22" .260 barrels and won a local 1-mile competition (4/7 hits if I remember). Also scored 3rd place in another local match in the 200-1400 yard range. Took a couple deer and antelope out to 300yd. Some of that with 140 hpbt's with .580 G1 BC going 2735fps. Putzer load that shot well.

Even at 2650fps a 140 ELDM or 143 ELDX is solid to 1200yd (above trans-sonic), 1000ft lb and 1800fps (hunting criteria) to 650+ yd at my elevation.

Will it compete with a 6mm 110smk @ 3150fps in a steel match to 1500yd? Probably not. But it's more than capable, certainly still better in every category except maybe energy on target than a .308.

You will be just fine with the 20'' barrel for your application. Proof offers this barrel for the shooter for your situation and needs.

Thanks guys! I am looking to trim some weight on the RPR. Thinking about going with the PROOF and a carbon fiber handguard, by offsetting the weight, I'm hoping to be able to hunt with it more. I wouldn't take a hunting shot over 600 so looks like the 20" should work!